Lean to Insulation

• Thread starter Deleted member 262063
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 262063

Hi All,

I've just signed up and took a look over the forums but couldn't find my specific answer.

I have a lean to that is attached to our garage and the garage is underneath our space room. I can access the garage directly from the house and the lean to directly from the garage. Essentially they are all attached.

The lean to is a single skin water tight building that has a garage door and a back door (as well as a side door into the garage/house) and also has electricity.

I would like to insulate the lean to as well as add a partition wall to have two separate sections of the lean to. However I do not want to change the use of the lean to, it will still be a storage location for tools, garden bits etc..

for insulation - 70mm PIR Celotex on the floor over a DPM and then 22mm tongue and groove chipboard. then PIR insulation boards on the walls and ceiling.

My question is, do I need submit a building regs application to insulate and add in a partition or would the fact I am not changing the use mean I can do it without having to get sign off from the building regulators.

Sponsored Links
do I need submit a building regs application to insulate and add in a partition

If you did it, who'd know! :whistle:

Personally, I wouldn't bother involving building regs considering it's not going to be a habitable room.

If you did it, who'd know! :whistle:

Personally, I wouldn't bother involving building regs considering it's not going to be a habitable room.

Same. I doubt they'd be interested anyway as it's not habitable.

If you are not creating a habitable room then you won't need Building regs approval.

Bear in mind that even if you are saying it's still a store, if the work has the potential to create a habitable space, then the building regs should apply. Yes, the question of who will know is a common one. And these things don't matter until sale time and a smart surveyor comes along. ( errr, no smart comments from the usual people if you please)

The fire risk in a store room is high. Fire and celotex don't mix well. Sufficient detailing should be done and you may want to consider an interlinked smoke or heat detector.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. It’s helped a lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back