Insulation Direct on Walls?

• Thread starter Deleted member 262063
  • Start date
I'm confused. Aren't you both saying a similar thing?

It seems we have all agreed this isn't a change of use, but still requires to comply with regulations.

Sponsored Links
Again where in Reg 5 is this a change of use?
I'm not getting through am I?

Why the fack is that even relevant to the OP and his situation? This is not a BCO night out discussing Acts of Parliament for fun.
All he (and all the others in all the other threads in which you post this crap) wants to know is if he needs building regulations for a garage conversion. It's quite simple really and I wonder why you need to make it so difficult.

All he (and all the others in all the other threads in which you post this crap) wants to know is if he needs building regulations for a garage conversion.
Simple answer no, but any work such as any additional structural work will. In theory if the garage already had fixed heating and there was an existing door into the garage, then no app is required for any upgrading work is at the total discretion of the owner.

I'm confused. Aren't you both saying a similar thing?
No.

Fruity is talking about the specific legislation and concentrating on a technical issue of whether under the Building Act/Building Regulations converting a garage is a "change of use". It's irrelevant, and it's confusing to someone who does not know that they need to do.

What I'm telling you is that to convert a garage to a habitable room you need to apply to the council for building regulation approval.

Sponsored Links
WTF? He does not need building regulation approval to convert his garage to a habitable room?
Oh FFS no but any additional work that involves part A, B and M or installation of fittings etc will, if the work does not involve alterations to these parts no app is required other than Part L. Why is this so difficult to understand?

other than Part L.
OK I'll humour your obtuse view of the world

Nevermind the garage door, a window, a wall, foundations, a floor, a ceiling, fire safety, a knock through, the electrics, damp prevention and every other thing that is normally required, there will definitely be an application required under part L?

So does that mean that to convert a garage it will require a building regulation application?

To help settle this maybe...the garage has a door to the lean to, which was previously the back door. There is a radiator in the garage, but it's partitioned off into a pantry, but this will be knocked down. The only structural work that's being done is bricking up the garage and a Window

To help settle this
Yes ignore my straightjacketed and blinkered friend.

With all building work, extensions, alterations, modifications whatever, the first thing to ask in this context is "Do I require building regulation approval?". To determine this, the next question is "What building regulations actually apply?" - ie what is and is not 'controlled works'.

Any garage conversion to a habitable room requires building regulation approval. End of.
The issue is to what extent - ie what conversion work is 'controlled works', and therefore what part of the conversion work needs permission and is going to be inspected. This will differ on a case by case basis depending on the work being done - bricking up the garage door, foundations or a beam, the window, the floor, the roof the doorway from the house etc. It's not like an extension say, where almost everything comes under building regulations, with a conversion only certain things do.

So for once again for clarity, a garage conversion requires building regulation approval.

Yes ignore my straightjacketed and blinkered friend.

With all building work, extensions, alterations, modifications whatever, the first thing to ask in this context is "Do I require building regulation approval?". To determine this, the next question is "What building regulations actually apply?" - ie what is and is not 'controlled works'.

Any garage conversion to a habitable room requires building regulation approval. End of.
The issue is to what extent - ie what conversion work is 'controlled works', and therefore what part of the conversion work needs permission and is going to be inspected. This will differ on a case by case basis depending on the work being done - bricking up the garage door, foundations or a beam, the window, the floor, the roof the doorway from the house etc. It's not like an extension say, where almost everything comes under building regulations, with a conversion only certain things do.

So for once again for clarity, a garage conversion requires building regulation approval.
Thanks, we got there in the end

I will do, It's been a great help even though these questions have probably been responded to a number of times. I did read back a few posts before asking. as I saw one post saying not to put celotex on the wall directly, but I think that was a single skin wall and not cavity wall. This place is a minefield.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back