Insulation Direct on Walls?

• Thread starter Deleted member 262063
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 262063

Hi all,

I have just finished insulating a lean to that is not a habital space, so hasn't complied with building regs, but I have used 50mm Celotex and battened the walls.

However I am now looking at a future project of converting the garage. The quote I had detailed using insta stick for the celotex on the walls. Is this something that can be done...It's a new one on me.

All walls on the garage except for the garage door wall are part of the house and the left wall leads into the lean to, which is water tight, so there are no externally exposed walls (if this makes a difference)

Sponsored Links
Yeah, just stick it on. I use Everbuild pinkgrip foam, but they are probably all very similar.

If they are internal walls why do they need to be insulated?
One of the walls was the old external cavity wall before the lean-to was built, so for regs I would imagine this will need insulation.

My other assumption is that I need to need a certain u-value so some insulation will be needed. im just not sure how much yet

Sponsored Links
Yeah, just stick it on. I use Everbuild pinkgrip foam, but they are probably all very similar.
Is there any benefit to using insulation board then plasterboard or using the stuff that's insulation and plasterboard in one?

One of the walls was the old external cavity wall before the lean-to was built, so for regs I would imagine this will need insulation.

My other assumption is that I need to need a certain u-value so some insulation will be needed. im just not sure how much yet
There is no need to insulate internal walls

There is no need to insulate internal walls
Thanks for this @^woody^ I would never have been the wiser this wasn't necessary.

The wall separating the lean to has all the gas and electrics on. I plan n boxing these in and can't phycall insulate. How would oh approach that?

@Nakajo it's not heated, just insulated, watertight and has electrics.

I suppose I could insulate the lean-to wall which leads into the garage. That would negate the need to insualte the interior garage wall? Which is 280mm so fairly sure there is a cavity

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this @^woody^ I would never have been the wiser this wasn't necessary.

The wall separating the lean to has all the gas and electrics on. I plan n boxing these in and can't phycall insulate. How would oh approach that?

With services in garage conversions you either move them, which can be very expensive, or box meters in in some sort of cupboard, and either line the wall to hide pipes and cables or just put them in trunking.

But you need to be clear about what is and is not an internal wall, as your description of a lean-to not being heated may mean that that dividing wall is not in fact an internal wall.

Is there any benefit to using insulation board then plasterboard or using the stuff that's insulation and plasterboard in one?

cheaper, better vapour barrier, easier to handle, easier to fit to uneven walls, better u-values.

With services in garage conversions you either move them, which can be very expensive, or box meters in in some sort of cupboard, and either line the wall to hide pipes and cables or just put them in trunking.

But you need to be clear about what is and is not an internal wall, as your description of a lean-to not being heated may mean that that dividing wall is not in fact an internal wall.
Thanks for the further advice. As the lean-to is a strange one. I am treating the garage wall as an external cavity wall and insulate as if the lean-to was not there. Although I have spoken to the building inspector and they advised it doesn't red it as it's a cavity wall. But 25mm can't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are BC involved for something you’re describing as being exempt?

Why are BC involved for something you’re describing as being exempt?
It's except from planning permission, but converting a garage to a habitable space requires sign off by local authority to comply with regulation the council department were called building control but it'sin reality building regulations.

The lean-to is what I called except as it's just a glorified tool shed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back