Insulation Direct on Walls?

• Thread starter Deleted member 262063
  • Start date
Its not a change of use under B Regs. though inevitably there will be some work carried out that will require b regs.
Ah I always thought it was change of use that I would be applying for.
Its not a change of use under B Regs. though inevitably there will be some work carried out that will require b regs.
The form they sent me was a building notice form. I explained what I was trying to do now im questioning if it's the right one

Sponsored Links
As far as I know all LA just use one Building notice form for all types of app.
Stupid question, but the LA app says have 3 years from notice, so I can apply and then do as much or as little as I want? Do just document it all or tell the inspector when he needs to come look

Sponsored Links
Oh here we go again. FFS

"Change of use" is a planning colloquialism and does not apply for householder planning issues unless say, you apply to change a house into a shop.

It's not a phrase used in the context of building control and despite a single person in the whole of the UK spouting that "a garage conversion is not a change of use" under building regulations, implying that it does not need building control approval, the conversion of a garage to a habitable room does need building regulation approval.

It's not a phrase used in the context of building control and despite a single person in the whole of the UK spouting that "a garage conversion is not a change of use" under building regulations, implying that it does not need building control approval, the conversion of a garage to a habitable room does need building regulation approval.
And yet again Woody makes up his own regs, its still not a change of use under any of the legal definitions of Reg 5, and yes such classifications do exist in B Regs but not apply in this instance.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/regulation/5/made
Perhaps you can enlighten me as to which category you believe applies?
As reg 5 does not apply none of the requirements relating to a change of use (reg 6) can be applied.
However Part L will almost certainly apply but this is due to a change in energy status (reg 22), as would any work that would be classed as a material alteration (any new structural work for example) or the new installation of a controlled fitting etc, however the application of these regs are unrelated to a change of use.

Stupid question, but the LA app says have 3 years from notice, so I can apply and then do as much or as little as I want? Do just document it all or tell the inspector when he needs to come look
You have 3 years to commence the work otherwise a sect 32 notice will be issued to void the app, once commenced there is no time limit to complete the work.

Oh here we go again. FFS

"Change of use" is a planning colloquialism and does not apply for householder planning issues unless say, you apply to change a house into a shop.

I dunno if that FFS was aimed at me, but it's all new on me and was using language I had heard others use before. although technically I am changing its use...
I am aware what regulations I need to comply with, just bouncing ideas from experienced folk

And yet again Woody makes up his own regs, its still not a change of use, and yes such classifications do exist in B Regs but not in this instance.
Perhaps you can enlighten me as to which category applies?
As reg 5 does not apply none of the requirements relating to a change of use (reg 6) can be applied.
However Part L will apply but this is due to a change in energy status

And yet again Woody makes up his own regs, its still not a change of use, and yes such classifications do exist in B Regs but not in this instance.
Perhaps you can enlighten me as to which category applies?
However Part L will apply but this is due to a change in energy status
You need to get real. FFS

When someone asks about building regulations for a garage conversion, and you give some numpty answer like "It's not a change of use under building regulations", its misleading and just a stupid reply.

No one cares what the poxy legislation says that you keep posting. What they want to know is do they need building regulation approval for a garage conversion, and the answer is "yes". Now why you can't just say that is beyond me.

You must be the most obtuse BCO to have worked at 849 local authorities before, and I do wonder how many scaffolds you have been flung off in your tour of the UK, due to your poxy communication skills.

I dunno if that FFS was aimed at me, but it's all new on me and was using language I had heard others use before. although technically I am changing its use...
I am aware what regulations I need to comply with, just bouncing ideas from experienced folk
Woody seems to believe that he knows the regs, which he clearly does not, Change of use under B regs has very clearly defined change of use definitions within a statutory instrument as opposed to guidance, a garage to habitable space does not fall into any of these catgories nor does a change of use from a shop to factory.
However this does not mean there will not be some work being carried out that does require B regs, no different to any other part of the house ie structural alterations, however a BCO cannot insist you carry out any additional work to comply with any of the parts outlined in reg 6.

Good to know. I came here to learn. Seems there isn't a obvious place where you can ask stupid or obvious questions, probably why builders charge so much

Just had a 9.5k quote for something I've worked out using separate quotes from others and doing bits myself for about 5k

No one cares what the poxy legislation says that you keep posting. What they want to know is do they need building regulation approval for a garage conversion, and the answer is "yes". Now why you can't just say that is beyond me.
So your more than happy with BCO's making up there own regs?
Again where in Reg 5 is this a change of use? Show me where I'm mistaken?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back