Gas meter removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On numerous occasions in the past, for various reasons, I or a family member (dad) have wanted a gas meter removed. BG come along, take the meter out and cap the pipe.

I've got a supply to a flat which is not going to be unoccupied for some considerable time, but EDF are refusing to remove the meter unless I pay National Grid to come and dig (wherever) and isolate the pipe.

I've spoken to National Grid and they say it's not required. EDF should just take the meter out and cap the pipe.

EDF still refuse, which means I will continue to pay standing charge.

Is this EDF policy a standard policy? And if so, why do National Grid disagree?

The meter is outside in a box, so no chance it's going to be 'bridged' if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Grid will not terminate the service for a considerable time of it not being used, years rather than months, write to EDF and give them 28 days to remove the unused meter from your property and inform them you will be charging them rent for the space that the meter is occupying on your property if it is not removed , just point blank refuse to pay the standing charge

I’m refurbing a Property and asked NPower to remove the Meter and cap the Pipe , explaining what I was doing, I asked was there a charge ... No , I also asked would there be any problems getting it put back in ... No , so go forward 6 months , I’m ready for the Meter to go back in , I called them and was told my Contract with them had been cancelled , and I wasn’t on their Customer list anymore (so I couldn’t register a complaint?) and they don’t do what they consider to be new Suplies , so I had a choice of BG, SSE or Scottish Power who could reinstate the supply I went with SSE who have been really helpful , talk about chalk & cheese with SSE & NPower

Hopefully come a week on Monday we’ll have a supply & Meter in situ.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back