Gas meter replaced, now water is hotter??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently we had our gas meter replaced and ever since our hot water has been significantly hotter. Is this explainable or just a coincidence?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
An outside chance could be that the working pressure at the meter govenor was way too low before and has now been set correctly.

Or it could be just coincidence and caused by the current hot weather giving a higher cold mains inlet temperature.

An outside chance could be that the working pressure at the meter govenor was way too low before and has now been set correctly.

Or it could be just coincidence and caused by the current hot weather giving a higher cold mains inlet temperature.

The meter was replaced on 23rd June which I think was before the hot weather really started.

If the working pressure has increased, is there a way to reduce the temperature of the water? I've found a thermostat on the hot water cylinder but it's already set at the lowest setting (approx 40 degrees).

Cheers[/i]

... is there a way to reduce the temperature of the water? I've found a thermostat on the hot water cylinder but it's already set at the lowest setting (approx 40 degrees).

Cheers[/i]

Pretty good chance your cylinder stat is not working. As you have a cylinder and not a combi, the increase in temperature is almost surely not related to the meter change.

Sponsored Links
and that temp is too low ...50 min.
60+ as minimum if it is unvented, unless you don't mind legionella growing wild.
But if the water is too hot with cylinder stat at 40, it is just not working; you can have a full blast shower at that temperature and it will be too cold rather than too hot. Don't forget that the water will cool down between the cylinder and the time it actually reaches you.

i thought 50 was the limit for the legionella and 60 was the highest before the risk of limescale.

i also didnt realise temp requirements were different for vented/unvented.

Legionella grows quicker as the water gets hotter, until it gets so hot they start dying quicker. If memory serves, 50 is where it gets less pleasant for them, and at 60, they die within the hour.

If you want the whole kit and kaboodle with all the stats, it comes up with all sorts of info when you google it.

Unvented is different as the water remains chlorinated, and much smaller volume that keeps warm, so rather than being diluted and topped up, it gets replaced entirely by fresh, chlorinated water.

all our legionella monitoring is taken at taps (sentinel taps)
and we are looking for between 50 and 60 deg C at POU (point of use)

below 50deg C legionella risk

above 60 degC scald risk

Isn't it a requirement to check the appliance pressure when they change a meter :rolleyes:

Working pressure is checked at the meter on exchanges not at appliance and usually by 3 burners on at cooker

So for all intense and purposes, they could change a faulty meter and leave a dangerous appliance working, a flueless fire for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back