Gas meter, to move or not to move?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Gas meter is currently sited against my exterior single block lean-to.
This will be demolished and a new extension built in its place.

As far as moving it goes (and we all want avoid those extortionate costs) is it acceptable for a builder to carefully demolish the current wall and rebuild the new blockwork in its place?

Would this be classed as a move? I willl look further into it but wanted some initial guidance first before I contact my supplier.

Maybe I could just get it disconnected while the works are carried out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if your meter will be sited in the same place as before , then its not a move you need to pay your supplier to do

you do need an RGI if you want to remove the meter and make safe the supply whilst you do your work in this area and this is what id suggest that you do

im sure some will say you can prop it up and not even bother , just be careful , but...if the pipework or joints are weak or even worse , pipe only just inside soldered joint....it can just fall out at anytime , even more so now its in slightly new position and pipework under new stress

if your RGI inspects your meter and pipework and can provide adequate support for it and pipework whilst there is no wall then it is ok to have it on

if you damage the supply pipe to your meter, or need it moving, or at any time suspect a leak from here , you will have to call your supplier

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back