Gas Meter - wall replacement (moved from GD)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a question regarding the movement or rather non movement of a gas meter.

My meter is connect to a courtyard wall at the side of my house, this wall is due to be demolished and rebuilt with a block cavity wall.

National grid have said that i have to have the gas supply disconnected and then reconnected when the work is complete (this is very expensive) the alternative is to move it (temporarily) then move it back when the wall is rebuilt again expensive - finally could just move it and live with the new location cheapest option they offered.

A builder has suggested supporting it whilst the wall is carefully demolished and fixing it back on the new wall when complete.

Is this a viable (legal option).

Thanks for any constructive posts

Sponsored Links
If the foundations are not being disturbed then a semi-concealed box may be the way to go. Semi concealed boxes can be attached to the foundations rather than the wall. There is a restriction that they cannot be used where a vehicle wheel could roll across them.

semi con gas.jpg

It would need you to provide something to protect the box and meter when the wall was being built and this may be something that National Grid would have concerns about.

They would still need to tie in to the existing domestic pipework through the wall or foundations?

On other thought, do you know if they can put the meter in a concealed box (in the cavity wall) as part of the construction, I know this is done in new builds but not sure how they would do it in this case.

They would still need to tie in to the existing domestic pipework through the wall or foundations?
National Grid would move the supply into the semi concealed box but with the outlet capped. The gas fitter ( RGI) you employ would then connect new / re-routed pipe work to the meter outlet.

I can't recall if National Grid provided and fitted the meter ( it has to be a new meter with the display facing upwards ) when they moved my supply into a semi concealed back in 2011 or it was fitted later.

Sponsored Links
Just so you can see the meter, the wall about 10 cm to the left of the pipe is staying. The wall on which the meter is located will go and be replaced.

Attachments

• GasMeter.jpg
    GasMeter.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 218

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back