gas metre in garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have just had a garage converted into a playroom for kids I have only had the shell built. The builder said gas metre needs to be moved outside. As its set in the cavity of the new conversion, the metre and isolator valve is all accessible. I got a quote off national grid of £1170 to move it from inside of wall to outside which is an expense we haven't accommodated for.
I just wanted conformation of the regs as I had a plumber round to quote for some rads to be installed and he said cant see a problem with it.
I will upload some pics.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can't have a built over gas service pipe such as when an extension is put over a meter box. Meter and box will have to go outside

Ok thanks for clarifying that. Guess i will have to stump up the money is there anyone else who can move metres. Apart from national grid

Yes... They are called an 'UIP' or utility infrastructure provider.

Sponsored Links
The only issue I can 'see' is that the meter is in the cavity.

You have made the installation at risk as a result of this, the gas transporter are well within their own rights to disconnect your gas and send you a bill for re-connection in a proper manner.

That being said, you haven't build over a service, just change the garage into a play room. If the gas meter no longer resides in the cavity, then there is no issue.

Block up the cavity, get a Gas Safe registered engineer around to fix the issue for you. Its rather simple to rectify and will cost a lot less than 1100 quid to move it outside.

No no no. By virtue of building the meter box inside the service pipe will become built over!!

Plus a gas safe engineer can only move the meter.. NOT the service pipe.. They also need permission to do so from the meter asset manager..

Don't believe me, ring ANY transporter and they will tell you the same or ring gas safe. They have technical bulletins they send to engineers to tell them this.

If there is a riser tee then yes... You can't build over it as its 99% going to be polyethylene service pipe.

Not like the scenario with an internal meter under the stairs and you build a porch at the front which may be over it as the PE service will likely be inside the steel service if its been inserted but if not, can't build over the PE.

OP, you should have asked for advice BEFORE you started the building work.

It could well have been possible to do something then. probably nw its too late.

A photo showing how the supply pipe gets to the meter is needed.

Tony

I'm slightly confused, are you talking about a garage that is along side the house, you said a garage conversion so why are you talking about having a shell built ?

Thanks for the replies i will upload some pics later tonight. The service pipe runs up the outside of the garage approx 2 feet then goes through the wall to the metre. The garage was a single skin attached to the house i have had it converted to a two storey. So I've had to have the block work on the inside so enclosing metre. Builder said he will come back and open it up again ready for when i need it moving .

Whether the regs have changed in the last few years I do not know. When I had a terraced house about 6 years ago the gas meter was in the front lounge with the pipe thro' the wall from the street outside.

GALLERY]

You now have pipework running vertically in a cavity absolute no no , needs sorted asap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back