Gas Oven Ignition problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help me with a problem I have with a Baumatic B609SS gas oven?

Basically the ignition spark has stopped working. When I push the oven temperature dial inwards to activate the gas supply it won't ignite the gas. I can hear a VERY faint ticking (should be loud) but it's not enough to light it up. The ignition for the separate gas hob is fine.

Now, what I need to know is what part needs replacing (assuming it does) and can this easily be done without calling out a professional?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Get an old stiff tooth brush or suchlike & clean the end of the ignitor it sounds like it is shorting through dirt on the body rather than arcing from the terminal to earth.

Hi I have tried to clean the element after removing the back panel from inside the oven which was concealing the ignition device.

However, this hasn't resolved the problem and I think I need a replacement ignition device which I couldn't remove in-situ. I have worked out how to pull the oven unit out but can someone please advise me if it's a straightforward job just pulling it out because obviously there is a gas supply attached and the power cable for the timer.

Is there slack in the gas supply or would that have been connected up whilst the kitchen worktop was off?

Sponsored Links
If it does have a flexible pipe then it is easy to remove, don't remove from cooker side remove from the copper pipe side, if in doubt then turn off the main gas supply first

Hi thanks so how will I know if there is enough slack to pull the oven outwards to release the gas supply?

This is the oven I have and also what I found behind the interior cover once removed....

Oven2_zpsd225cb6d.jpg

Oven1_zps7ab52dbc.jpg

There was enough slack to install it so there must be enough to remove it for maintenance.If you can access the back of the oven from the side by removing the draws next to it you will be 100% sure then. You may have to have something the same height from the floor to the base of the oven, ready to rest it on as you pull it out though. Just take your time & it will be obvious.

Thanks guys. Job for the weekend me thinks when I can turn off the gas supply.

One question though - my gas supply is in an outdoor cupboard where the meter is. Will this affect my gas boiler in anyway when it's turned off? I'm thinking all I need to do is re-ignite the boiler when the supply is restored?

If you turn off the main supply as you say then yes it will affect your boiler too. If the boiler has electronic ignition (as most do) then it should take care of itself. Only if it has a permanent pilot light (would have to be very old boiler) then that will need to be relit first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back