HELP PLEASE ! Baumatic Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a BAUMATIC BT2630ss Gas oven that has developed a fault, the gas oven has been on for 2 hrs today then has just gone off, it will re ignite but then just goes out again, any ideas ?

everything else works, no problems with gas etc, hob works no probs and fan comes on, its just the gas part that will not stay lit

cheers
sie

Sponsored Links
The Flame supervision device is probably faulty,you`ll need to get a gas safe registered engineer to examine it and probably order and fit a part.

Sponsored Links
The Flame supervision device is probably faulty,you`ll need to get a gas safe registered engineer to examine it and probably order and fit a part.
Why? a competent person should be able to change a thermocouple.

Wotan

Sorted ! it was the thermocouple that had corroded, ordered a new one from BES for £3, on this morning and working no probs, why gas safe engineer required ? it was 1 x 8m nut off/on job done !

by the way Baumatic wanted £38 for exact same part even marked up the same !

Sorted ! it was the thermocouple that had corroded, ordered a new one from BES for £3, on this morning and working no probs, why gas safe engineer required ? it was 1 x 8m nut off/on job done !

You dont have to be gas safe registered but you do have to be "competent" by law....... How would you prove competence if asked the question ?

Competent, now then let me think..... well i found it very easy to remove the old 8m nut and slide out the old thermocouple, and slide int the new one and replace the 8m nut with a new one and tighten using an 8m spanner, tested it and fully working........ i hope that shows that i was competent to replace the broken part !

Competent, now then let me think..... well i found it very easy to remove the old 8m nut and slide out the old thermocouple, and slide int the new one and replace the 8m nut with a new one and tighten using an 8m spanner, tested it and fully working........ i hope that shows that i was competent to replace the broken part !
Not at all, to work on a gas appliance the minimum you need is to be competent and unless you know about gas then you arent competent, you had to get to the connection on the oven stat for a start. Its not my opinion its the law, youre not up against a preacher here either, I tell the truth about gas, I dont tell people you "have to be gas safe" because I know about the competency rule, fact is though how would YOU prove competency if ever questioned ?

ok fair enough, but still its done and working ok, and prob saved miself about 100 quid !

I see both sides of the argument...but safety should always come first. Horses for courses is a very good motto to remember.
I would not gamble where gas appliances are concerned. Shake hands guys...& let it go :D

Superb. I have the same problem, can i get to the thermocouple from within the oven or from the rear?

You dont have to be gas safe registered but you do have to be "competent" by law....... How would you prove competence if asked the question ?

Isn't that an institutionalised trick? -How to prove competence or not. Certificates & exams don't prove confidence. I have had a CORGI gas fitter remove a gas fire; cap off the mains but leave it leaking. Another Corgi plumber moved a gas water heater but left green flux all over the copper pipes- aren't they supposed to rot?? The very best plumber I've ever known fitted a Megaflo but it had a leak from a weld within 3 weeks. Indeed its quite typical for jobbers to leave something likely to fail soon to create work (not necessarily for themselves). I just had a fire engineer fail to resolve a wiring problem in a new addressable fire alarm after 9 extra nights work. I terminated his contract, as I had a fire inspection the next day, I sat down for 10 minutes to work out what to do (decided to check all the new wiring as the previous fire alarm worked fine), spent another 10 minutes in the area he had spent 9 days, wiring up extra cables, junctions boxes to isolate the fault. I found the fault in that second 10 minutes- the NICC certified engineer had wired earth into a neutral terminal. Now even an incompetent person might recognise that as being downright dangerous. Where are all these competent tradespeople then?

I am a competent person that can do many skills that I dont have paper certificates for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back