Gas pipe installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we had our meter moved several years ago into our garage. we are now converting our garage to a living space. This meas moving our boiler. I have been in the industry some years and competant in what i do, however gas is another ball game.
I would like to install the pipework myself, getting the enginer to connect to the meter and boiler then test. Going outside witht the copper is not a option as several doors and other things would be in the way, short of going vertical for about 3m then across the fron of the house. So is it acceptable to run pipe under floors?
Is there any way/use of material to reduce joints?

Sponsored Links
Have you spoke to a gas Safe engineer to see if they are happy for you to install pipework hidden under floorboards which they then would have to certify are safe to use?

A gas engineer would want to see all joints before connecting, that is if you can find one who would agree to do it, Gas safe have been really clamping down on this recently, Have a look at Trac-pipe, if you could run that with no joints you have a better chance of someone agreeing to connect it for you, not cheap though but it is good

Sponsored Links
Every time an existing gas carcass with hidden pipework is worked on, it is certified as safe if it will hold a tiny pressure for a couple of minutes.
I remember an instance when the soundness test had been on for over an hour with no GRM. When the gas fire was removed the unprotected pipe in the builders opening literally disintegrated due to the birds hit. Many more joints over the years badly or partially soldered, (some never soldered) held by flux! lost count of the joints that fell apart when cutting a pipe back !! and all by supposedly competent operatives.!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back