Gas pipe to boiler

Chrishutt, I know from previous posts that you don't agree with me, but the length of pipe from the meter to the cooker tee off must be doubled when working out the pipe sizing, so each appliance only gets 0.5 mBar drop and if there were 3 appliances then it would have to be tripled, as we are all taught in our ccn1.

Sponsored Links
I had a job last week,.. 2.6 m/hr to a combi....12m equivalent lenght. The measured drop was a shade over a mbar. The tables would tell you it should cope with 3.9 m/hr that's 50% over the actual flow rate.
Actually that's 100% out, not 50%. The tables say that 25 metres of 22mm should give a drop of 1 mbar at 2.5 m³/h. You're getting that on just 12 metres, so the drop over 25 metres would be 2 mbar, double what the tables say, so 100% out (which is the same as ChrisR says).

the length of pipe from the meter to the cooker tee off must be doubled when working out the pipe sizing, so each appliance only gets 0.5 mBar drop and if there were 3 appliances then it would have to be tripled, as we are all taught in our ccn1.
That's wrong I'm afraid, and it's not what I've read in textbooks either. As long as the total drop to each appliance is no more than 1 mbar, it's OK, irrespective of how much of the drop happens on the shared section.

Chrishutt wrote

Actually that's 100% out,

He didn't say 50 percent out but rather 50 percent over the actual flowrate which is different. ;)

Sorry ChrisH, but if you look in your corgi 'essential gas safety book' P79, 'Guide for sizing gas supplies (natural gas)', the section in italics proves and states exactly what I said previuosly about the number of appliances/sections and the multiplication factors needed.

Sponsored Links
Chrishutt wrote

Actually that's 100% out,

He didn't say 50 percent out but rather 50 percent over the actual flowrate which is different. ;)
Point taken. That is indeed what he said. I was thinking of what I thought he meant! Nevertheless in terms of the accuracy of the tables, it does suggest that they are 100% out.

Chrishutt wrote

Nevertheless in terms of the accuracy of the tables, it does suggest that they are 100% out.

Well when you have the likes of sanj varah compiling them then that comes as no surprise. ;)

Sorry ChrisH, but if you look in your corgi 'essential gas safety book' P79, 'Guide for sizing gas supplies (natural gas)', the section in italics proves and states exactly what I said previuosly about the number of appliances/sections and the multiplication factors needed.
You're right, it does say that. I take that as a suggested way of approaching the problem, a rule-of-thumb. But it isn't necessary to do it that way. To take the £orgi manual diagram as an example, section A-B from the meter to the first T could have a drop of 0.5 mbar (rather than 0.25 as they suggest). Providing the remaining run to the combi had a drop of no more than 0.5 mbar that would be fine, although as ChrisR said it might be prudent to leave some spare capacity in the common pipework from the meter.

Doesn't matter whether you use the corgi, CITB, ERS, CDA or any other method they all refer to the tables which we know to be inaccurate.

As in most things its experience that counts.

Me thinks you need a gas installation engineer- not a glass bending artist!
Why has nobody mentioned the prevailing gas pressure- is this fixed all over the country?
Sounds like it would be cheaper to bump up the pressure and fit a 10 mm pipe :LOL:

Why has nobody mentioned the prevailing gas pressure- is this fixed all over the country?
Same specs everywhere, yes.
But the poiint is it's the same Regulation everywhere. That's what Corgis have to abide by.

Sounds like it would be cheaper to bump up the pressure and fit a 10 mm pipe
Wouldn't work, because unregulated appliances can share the same pipe - explained above, by moi.

Balenza";p="726389 said:
dp123 wrote in his opening post.

We have a water heater and a gas boiler in the garage at the rear of the house.
The meter is in the front of the house and approx 30 meters from the garage

Sorry for the confusion there i don't know where i got 30 meters from,i guessed 15 meters by pacing it but on measuring it its actually 11 meters.

All the bends are = to half a metre. Again, it has to be measured. 2 mins for a Corgi.

i think you should run a 54mm gas pipe then reduce to 15 mm about 9.1548888mm from the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back