Gas Regs re Cooker Installation

The reason given on an early ACS training was that on Christmas day the family left grandma at home while they went to the pub.

Grandma pulled the turkey forward onto the tilt down door and its weight caused the cooker to tip forward and the boiling pans of sprouts on top poured over her and she died from severe scalding at her old age.

Maybe a made up story but it is a logical explanation of the requirement.

However, the risk only applies to tilt down doors which I have not seen used lately.

The regulation becomes even more irrelevant for the range style cookers which even pulling with my 85 kG I cannot tip over!

But regs are regs and we have to be tested on them every five years and follow them to the letter and show non restrained cookers on Gas Safety Certs as non compliant.

So much for regs!

Tony
It was actually a 3 year old girl who died in Sheffield when she sat on the drop down door of a cheap import cooker that prompted the reg, there had been incidents though with the old cannon cookers too.

Sponsored Links
The regulation becomes even more irrelevant for the range style cookers which even pulling with my 85 kG I cannot tip over!
My brother has one of these. As you imply, it would take a team of rugby players to push it over. But it still has its weedy little chain at the top - which I'm sure I could snap with one hand if I yanked hard enough!

MI's for most range cookers require connection by rigid pipe, only cookers fitted with bayonet hoses require a stability bracket, therefore range cookers dont need a stability bracket

sorry kirkgas but *******s !

Tony[/quote]It was actually a 3 year old girl who died in Sheffield when she sat on the drop down door of a cheap import cooker that prompted the reg, there had been incidents though with the old cannon cookers too.[/quote]

I am not sure that these stories are actually true, and if they are, I beleive that they did not bring about the regs

When I started back in the mid 70s as a Gas Board appentice, the rules were clear; ALL cookers had to be fitted with rigid tube UNLESS it had wheels, either as an add on or built in. At the start of the rigid rule realxation there had to be a restraint, and drop down doors were more prevaalent then

My brother has one of these. As you imply, it would take a team of rugby players to push it over. But it still has its weedy little chain at the top - which I'm sure I could snap with one hand if I yanked hard enough!

MI's for most range cookers require connection by rigid pipe, only cookers fitted with bayonet hoses require a stability bracket, therefore range cookers dont need a stability bracket

sorry kirkgas but **** !

c'mon gasbani i'm not saying i don't talk ****, but you need to tell me what bit is **** so that i learn, i have read range cooker MI's that state rigid pipe, i have read BS6172 which states cookers fited with hoses must be restrained, so it might be my conclusion that is **** as i interpret what i have read, do tell :LOL:

Sponsored Links
... i have read range cooker MI's that state rigid pipe...
Speaking as nothing more than an observant DIYer only, I have definitely seen a couple of range cookers that were connected with a flexible hose. And I know that this was definitely what the MIs reccomended in one of the cases (my brother's Comet special).

... i have read range cooker MI's that state rigid pipe...
Speaking as nothing more than an observant DIYer only, I have definitely seen a couple of range cookers that were connected with a flexible hose. And I know that this was definitely what the MIs reccomended in one of the cases (my brother's Comet special).

yes i agree, my original post said i had read MI saying rigid but there are others which state you can do either, MI rule but the point of this post is about stability brackets, and they are specifically for cookers with hose, they are not required for cookers with pipework installed to BS6891 (by that i mean rigid pipe installed as it should be, and therefore safe)

I am not sure that these stories are actually true, and if they are, I beleive that they did not bring about the regs

When I started back in the mid 70s as a Gas Board appentice, the rules were clear; ALL cookers had to be fitted with rigid tube UNLESS it had wheels, either as an add on or built in. At the start of the rigid rule realxation there had to be a restraint, and drop down doors were more prevaalent then

That one is true, it was mid eighties and I knew the bloke who investigated it.

sorry kirkgas but **** !

c'mon gasbani i'm not saying i don't talk ****, but you need to tell me what bit is **** so that i learn, i have read range cooker MI's that state rigid pipe, i have read BS6172 which states cookers fited with hoses must be restrained, so it might be my conclusion that is **** as i interpret what i have read, do tell :LOL:

Range cookers rigid pipework..............since when !
unless your talking commercial. I have fitted hundreds and probably repaired thousands for a major manufacturer of quality ranges and how many have been plumbed up in rigid pipework ? 0 !

sorry kirkgas but **** !
The only ones rigid will be AGA's/Rayburns etc, solid cast iron cookers, no others will be rigid.

unless your talking commercial. I have fitted hundreds and probably repaired thousands for a major manufacturer of quality ranges and how many have been plumbed up in rigid pipework ? 0 !

sorry kirkgas but **** !

The only ones rigid will be AGA's/Rayburns etc, solid cast iron cookers, no others will be rigid

[quote="wsts";p="2147513"]

That one is true, it was mid eighties and I knew the bloke who investigated it.[/quote]

Which rather proves my point :)

Which rather proves my point :)[/quote]Which was ?

Which rather proves my point :)
Which was ?[/quote]

That Pelchy.s a b*****d of course !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back