Gas Regs re Cooker Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I have used this forum section as it seems the best for a gas regulation query.

We are replacing our cooker. Although it is 'free standing' it fits perfectly into a bespoke space between work surfaces and has a glass lid & low level grill.

It is connected to the gas supply with a flexible hose and 'twist & lock' connector.

The supplier has informed me that it must be connected to the gas supply supply by a GasSafe reg engineer and that flexible hoses are not supplied with new cookers. Evidence of this is required to validate the guarantee should we need to call on it.

No problem on the above and would want this for safety reasons.

However, they have also said that all free standing cookers, if connected by a flexible hose have to be stabalised with a bracket which anchors the base of the cooker to floor. I presume this is to prevent accidental movement of the appliance.

As the cooker will be held rigid between kitchen units and work surfaces is this necessary. I ask because I can foresee problems in accessing the base of the cooker when it is place.

Can anyone please advise on this - thanks

Sponsored Links
You WILL need a stability device, the type of which required will be in the manufacturers instructions

Yes, that's right, it's meant to stop the cooker from being pulled over and is mandatory. Have a look in the manufacturer's instructions.

I do agree with you that in many cases, it's often an entirely un-necessary precaution, and done merely to comply with regs rather than because the cooker stands any real chance of actually falling over or working its way out of its niche.

Such is life these days :rolleyes:

Having said that, there's probably someone out there whose life has been saved by such a device.

This is required to stop the cooker tipping forward!

The foot bracket stops it tipping but its still free to be pulled forward for cleaning.

Although the foot is the preferred restraint as far as I am aware the chain near the top is still permitted.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile";p="2144454 said:
This is required to stop the cooker tipping forward!
Agile";p="2144454 said:
If you are climbing on the cooker, you deserve it to be tipped over. I can not see how a cooker csan possibly tip over, exept when benig pulled forward to remove or clean. And once it is a few inches forward there is no bracket safety!

I suspect thy were introduced for drop down doors, and IMHO, they are the only cookers that would benefit by enhanced safety.

The reason given on an early ACS training was that on Christmas day the family left grandma at home while they went to the pub.

Grandma pulled the turkey forward onto the tilt down door and its weight caused the cooker to tip forward and the boiling pans of sprouts on top poured over her and she died from severe scalding at her old age.

Maybe a made up story but it is a logical explanation of the requirement.

However, the risk only applies to tilt down doors which I have not seen used lately.

The regulation becomes even more irrelevant for the range style cookers which even pulling with my 85 kG I cannot tip over!

But regs are regs and we have to be tested on them every five years and follow them to the letter and show non restrained cookers on Gas Safety Certs as non compliant.

So much for regs!

Tony

The regulation becomes even more irrelevant for the range style cookers which even pulling with my 85 kG I cannot tip over!
My brother has one of these. As you imply, it would take a team of rugby players to push it over. But it still has its weedy little chain at the top - which I'm sure I could snap with one hand if I yanked hard enough!

I tend to agree with you expertgasman ----- however if that's what the regulations state then I would expect any Gassafe installer to do what is required - even if that means putting realism to one side!

agile - What you say could explain this: On the back of the cooker at the base is a rectangular slit above which is a label with 'anchor point' on it. I can see now how a bracket secured to the wall would fit into this as the cooker was pushed back into position -------- meaning the bracket can be fixed into place with the cooker removed and when in place it's not actually physically attached to the cooker but would prevent it tipping but not being extracted. Ingenious!!

I tend to agree with you expertgasman ----- however if that's what the regulations state then I would expect any Gassafe installer to do what is required - even if that means putting realism to one side!
You are quite right, which is what I said in my 1st response

agile - What you say could explain this: On the back of the cooker at the base is a rectangular slit above which is a label with 'anchor point' on it. I can see now how a bracket secured to the wall would fit into this as the cooker was pushed back into position -------- meaning the bracket can be fixed into place with the cooker removed and when in place it's not actually physically attached to the cooker but would prevent it tipping but not being extracted. Ingenious!!

Like one of these (at top of page) Easy to fit, and ticking boxes
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/010.asp

cooker with side opening doors are as dangerous as tilt down doors, open the door and put even a little weight on the front edge of the door and it will fall over, seen it demonstrated on my acs a few years ago.

My brother has one of these. As you imply, it would take a team of rugby players to push it over. But it still has its weedy little chain at the top - which I'm sure I could snap with one hand if I yanked hard enough!

MI's for most range cookers require connection by rigid pipe, only cookers fitted with bayonet hoses require a stability bracket, therefore range cookers dont need a stability bracket

What about electric cookers?

The chain are the better one cos it stop cooker tipping over and most important stop the flex hose and copper pipe getting damage when cooker is pull out too far.

Dan.

My two dual fuel range cookers are both connected to gas with a hose.

How could one connect with rigid pipe when its right up against the wall?

My two dual fuel range cookers are both connected to gas with a hose.

How could one connect with rigid pipe when its right up against the wall?

I think we're getting confused with what is actually a range cooker. REAL range cookers have their own flue and MUST be fixed with rigid pipe. Multi burner ovens, which are now called Ranges for marketing purposes I presume are generally fixed with a hose as you say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back