Gas Safe "Hot Zone" install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.

I had a huge brain fart and during my kitchen update got carried away with wooden panelling and need some remedial works advice on getting an area "Gas Safe" so i can get a Range oven installed.

As you can see from the photos, the recessed area was meant for a Gas 110cm range oven to be installed, anyway its obviously not safe as its surrounded by wooden panelling - something that became apparent once i had finished. (yes i am aware i am an idiot)
so i am looking to remedy the situation.

If i were to Tile the area as shown in the drawings below, would this then be "to code" as to say? or would it need to from the Floor to the extractor?

And how would the cupboard that runs the height floor to ceiling on the right affect the legality of a certificated install (If at all) as long as i tile it instead of wooden panelling it would this suffice?- the last cooker was against this but that was installed by the previous owner and going of the rest of the house i doubt it was done by a qualified engineer.

Just to answer any questions that may arise;
  • it backs onto a solid brick external wall
  • I am going to get the oven installed by a Gas Safe engineer
  • the cupboard thing that runs the height of the photo on the right contains the hot water boiler and cant be moved
  • the extractor hood is 78cm above where the cooker top would be - i got that part right i think
  • i have not finished putting the electric in yet so the wire you see "flapping in the wind" will be correctly terminated in a flush fitting 45A cooker connection unit, and it is controlled by a 45A cooker socket off to the left of the photo.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back