Gas Stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a gas stove in our living room, one that is meant to look like a multi fuel stove but isn't. The gap in our chimney breast is only 470mm wide and even the smallest stove is about 400mm wide.
A lot of these stoves say that you should leave a gap of at least 150mm each side of the stove, which of course there would not be. Does anyone know of any gas stoves that does not require such a gap or would it be alright to have a smaller gap?

Sponsored Links
You must comply with any clearances that the manufacturer specifies.

As above.

Plus, not to discourage you, but do you understand that there is quite a bit of regs to comply with when installing stoves - research on here, and the building forum.

Given the above, you could always open up and out the opening, which, of course, would give you a wider selection of stoves.

Yes if we went ahead with it I was going to get it all looked at and fitted by a fully qualified person, just really needed to know if there was any leeway on the gaps either side before we went ahead and started looking properly.
From previous experience with other things people who have more knowledge sometimes say it is only a guideline and you would be able to get away with various things.

This time it looks like you can't so will have to look at other options as we were trying to get away with not widening the gap due to money and time restrictions.

Cheers for the advice.

Sponsored Links
You will probably find that the space required at each side is so that the heat doesn't damage the side wall but if they are brick with no combustible material within that distance than I cant see a problem, although technically you should stick to the manu's guidelines

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back