Gate into fence panel ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to put up a new 6ft fence and want to make a gate within the panel, any tips ? Thinking of modding the panel and putting an extra post in to hang the gate on, any tips much appreciated [/b]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Do you not get it ! I want to have ago at building the gate, that is why I'm asking for tips on here, I'm sure I could buy a verti Lap gate and as such I wouldn't be asking for tips would I ? Tell u what forget it, you have been no help whatsoever

Just buy some 4x2 for the frame and fix 'em together. Thing is you'll be fixing the whole panel to the frame rather than fixing individual fence boards so can see the whole lot ending up a bit flimsy. It is a bit odd when you can just buy a gate ready made for £45 odd.

What I'm after is the gate to be 'hidden' within the panel, as its only occasional use, I'm hoping to make the gate invisible from the outside, that's why I want it be the exact wood and colour etc, I was after some idea on how to build the gate fom the same wood, I'm not bothered about the cost, if I buy a gate for £45 odd.... It will not be the same wood or colour and will stand out

Well it would if you bought it from the same supplier. There's nothing like getting the whole picture ....

if you want it to look the same, buy (or make) the outer part of a door (like it would be for a glass door) and cut up a panel so you can nail on the fence-strips like a cladding. You could even use a solid door, as the cladding will conceal it.

An external-grade front door would be strongest. If you are lucky you might find one on ebay or freegle that someone is chucking out, I got a hardwood panelled front door for my shed for 99p like that.

Wooden doors and gates used outside suffer badly from water penetration. Space it four to six inches off the ground to prevent rainsplash, and put something over the top to stop rain getting in. Give it a diagonal brace on the back.

When you put a gate in a fence, it is much less rigid and will tend to wobble or sag. If you can put a lintel or brace across the tops of the posts on either side it will improve rigidity a lot.

p.s.
at the side of my house I have a personal gate, and also a fence panel which is mounted on a frame and hung on hook-and-band hinges. The fence panel itself is to weak to hinge, so the frame is the real gate, and the panel is just fixed to it. It enables me to carry large things in and out of the garden. The bolts are on the inside face. I had to brace between the tops of the posts at each side so they are a bit higher. I used decking timber.

As JohnD suggests why can't you make one of the fence panels shorter, and make that the door, reinforce it so it can hang on hinges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back