Gate Latch Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I fitted a new garden gate and latch last weekend but when the gate is closed the latch does not lift and drop automatically. Not sure if I have fitted the latch incorrectly or if it just needs to wear in a bit, any thoughts?

Also, the gate hangs open by default, can I adjust it to swing closed by default?

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
It swings open, because the hinges arent in line, move the bottom hinge (or the top, do the bottom you wont see the old holes ) & the gate will close.
The catch isnt closing because either the pivot point on the closure is to tight or the gate catch is not position properly, dose the gate handle thing close when the gate is open, if it does then adjust the closure catch.

Thanks for this, when you say to move the bottom hinge? do you mean to move it vertically up the post or horizontally? The backs of the hinge sections that attach to the gate are both in line with the back of the gate? Regarding the latch, when the gate is open the handle drops and rests on the 'jump staple'? Do you thing I need to move the 'keep' closer to the 'jump staple' or further away?

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Your hinges may be in line, but if the post isnt vertical the gate wont hang as it should (or as you want it).
I dont know what size / weight the gate is, but I just put 1 screw in mine & tried it to make it shut.
As fae as the Keep then if the latch wont drop the keep must be to high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back