Gate post question, wood metal or concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping to replace back garden wall with a wooden gate. I will need two gate posts on either ends.

I was thinking to use a concrete slotted fence post, then fix a 2x4 wooden batton to it though drilled holes and then hang the gate, gate itself will be in two parts , 6ft x 6ft on one side and 2ft x 6ft on the other. will a concrete post be strong enough? I read in few places they tend to crack.

Is wooden post a good idea? the area is on a high ground so water in the soil will be not that high.

Regards to metal/steel posts, what options do I have? I want to keep costs to a minimum if possible as I've spent qute a bit on restructuring the garden and patio over the lockdown.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can get concrete fence posts with holes cast in. Easier than trying to drill into a concrete post with rebar.
Some are made with holes to mount galvanised hardware
I would have thought that a concrete post well concreted into the ground, with a wooden post attached would be ok.
I would add a jockey wheel to a 6 foot gate.

getting concrete with holes cast into it means it is less likely to crack than if you drill it.

You can bolt wooden posts to it (with stainless bolts) and if the wooden posts do not touch the ground they will last much longer.

If you like dark wood stains, you can paint the concrete dark brown to tone in.

If you dig a trench between the post-holes, you can shutter the top few inches for neatness and pour a "doorstep" linking the two post holes. This will resist leaning of the posts.

if the posts are part of a fence, you can put wooden lintels between them and the next fenceposts along on each side. It will not be noticeable once stained, and will add strength and resist movement. Decking boards are very handy for this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, concrete it is then, cheaper option as well, jockey wheel is a good idea , good point on posts with holes cast in than drilling.

It's not a part of a fence but one post will be next a small wall, I guess I can use that in someway to resist movement.

Thanks very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back