Gate valve effectiveness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the middle of my bathroom refit and today I installed all the plumbing for my new shower and shower pump.

The whole thing was working fine and not leaking at all. After priming the pump and trying it out I removed the shower mixer to stop it getting knocked and damaged as I carry on works.

Now the hot and cold pipes are both dripping at the mixer end. I have taken the fuse out of the pump supply and shut down the gate valves supplying hot and cold to the pump. Yet still I get this minimal dripping. I tried opening and closing the gate valves but still I get dripping. Including both hot and cold it has dripped roughly 100ml in the last 6-8 hours (not much really).

All I can think is that it is because the valves are both above the level of the pipe ends and this is just caused by gravity. Can anyone confirm if this is true, or is it that the gate valves are to blame?

Sponsored Links
old gate valves are pants very rarely do i find ones that work.

use quarter turn valves like the valve in your gas meter box but in blue or red.
Unless your oil or leccy then you wont have a clue what im talking about

I know the valves you are talking about, funnily enough thought about buying them a few weeks back but thought I would use gate valves as they are more common!

I will use quarter turns in future now, no more expensive than gate valves and I would imagine less prone to seizure.

Sponsored Links
similar, except for end fitting

p1082529_l.jpg

I have found that a significant percentage of gate valves do NOT entirely stop the flow of water. Best to use an alternative device.

yes but after a few years I wonder whether the screws on those small isolating ball valves will be rusted and not be able to close or open properly. Aren't there only problems with gate valves when they are years old and havent been turned for ages?

Pegler quarter turn valves Screw fix code 21289 15mm are the type I mean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back