Gatepost question, widening driveway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys! I'm in the process of demolishing the gatepost, moving it around 18-20" tops (right on the territory line, can't go any further!). Would like a few pointers concerning the job at hand.

Footings, a foot deep hole? 6" of concrete, 6" below ground line? Judging by the foundation stones, it looks as if they did that initially.

Centre was filled with red brick, pieces of stone and a lot or mortar. Could anyone recommend anything else? Or would this be sufficient?

Also guys - and above all... What is the stone?! Could anyone shine a light on it for me? Had a few discussions with the neighbours, but no one really knows!

20130408_172608_zps86cfffed.jpg

IMG-20130408-WA0015_zps21b0ef80.jpg

IMG-20130409-WA0005_zps82bb906c.jpg

This is gonna be interesting, as I've never built a post before. Though I have a few friends of friends who know their stuff.

(Notice the shoddy workmanship on next door's post. I'm aiming a little higher than that don't worry!)

Sponsored Links
Which part of Gwynedd are you ?
A lot of the houses around me were built of a Dolerite type of granite.
I know where there is lots of stone going free :?:

Ah! So that's the stone? Bangor area mate. Where abouts are you? Im also led to believe that a few walls were made from Scottish granite? It was used as a ballast for something or other, and there was a lot readily available here.

Sponsored Links
I am 30 miles south of you but will be in Bangor this afternoon at the dentist :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back