Gates and Cranked Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have fitted cranked hinges the wrong way round.

I'm making some driveway gates, and i'd like them to swing both ways (oo er!).

I'm planning on fitting the hook 'inside' the opening rather than on the back of the post, i was wondering if by fitting the cranked band the wrong way (ie crank forwards and not backwards as normal) would it give me enough to throw the thickness of the gate away from the wall as it swings? (obviously that'll depend on the thickness of the gate, but you get the idea)

Does any of that make sense, or do i have to draw it for you too???

Sponsored Links
No need for a drawing, fill your boots and let us know how it goes ..........

Sponsored Links
Of course. A cranked hinge is only used to cut down on the gap between the pier or post and the gate itself and also to throw the gate forward so it sits in the opening.

But a cranked hinge can only open one way as its mounted on the front or rear face of the pier.

You just want a normal flat hook and band hinge or field gate hinge as they will project it further out from the post and rather than mount it on the rear face of the post like this

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/5KPCIysmVk8/maxresdefault.jpg

mount it on the inside face of the post like this

http://www.mcveighparker.com/mcvp_store/images/uploads/KWF_hug.jpg

The only key thing here is to get the spacing of the posts right as you have less room for adjustment.

Thanks, i'd seen field gate hinges but i'm not sure if i can get one the correct width. Either way, i was going to mount the pin 'inside' the opening, and cut the gates to suit

I wish to see the on going improvement and changes on your gate. Your idea is just out-of-this-world and I think that this is achievable especially with your motivation and goal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back