Gear box? Clutch? Exhaust?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm useless with cars so can someone help me with an issue.

The motor (Polo Diesel) is failing to accelerate when I change gears and push the accelerator - it simply revs up (rev counter goes crazy) and very very gradually accelerates. Its almost like I have my fut to the floor in neutral ....

Can anyone help me diagnose the issue - I'm skint and need to know if this means I have to sell the wife.

D

Sponsored Links
sounds like your clutch is slipping,to test it put the car in 1st gear with handbrake on & then release clutch till it bites,if the revs rise the clutch is shot?if the car stalls then the clutch should be o.k.

great - well I think great - how much does it cost to get a clutch replaced on a Polo Diesel and should I avoid Kwik Fit?

Sponsored Links
IMHO, yes avoid, phone around you'll probably get it much cheaper in an independent, as for cost, depends on whether or not it is a transverse engine, as I guess it will be.

Sorry, just to add, there are some really bad cowboy operators out there, replacing engines / gearboxes / clutches, be cautious.

Prices depend what you get.

Main VW dealer gives genuine parts,warranties, and back up. You also need a second mortgage.

Smaller independent will quote giving a choice of genuine or good quality pattern parts, which he is confident about using.

Lower end use really cheap and nasty re-built parts or Chinese copies.

With any of the above your flywheel may need skimming and they won't know until the car stripped.

The lower end of the maket have an habit of phoning and saying the flywheel is naff and needs say £100 extra to skim it. Alternatively we could leave it but we can't say how long it will last and can't warranty the clutch. Many people accept this to save the extra cost. They then get real c**p Chinese bits without a warranty. These garages love these people.

I would go to the small independent and expect to pay around £200+vat or so depending on the flywheel condition.

If you know nothing at all about cars, ask around and try to use the same garage all the time. This way you will build up a rapport, which will give you more confidence. This also helps if you are stuck and need thier help.

Agree completely, find a garage you are happy with, not always easy I know, but with experience you tend to know, then stick with them. As said, you build up a rapport, and when your wife fills up the diesel with unleaded they "only" charge you £160.00 which is pretty cheap including recovery I may add. I was going to suggest around about the £200 mark for the clutch, do beware of the cowboys out there though

Guys

I tried the test above (handbrake on, in first gear etc) and the car stalled without any movement on the rev counter.

Does this mean it is not the clutch?

D

did you try pulling away as normal but with the handbrake on?gently apllying more revs?if its not the clutch itself could be the release bearing?either way its an engine out of the car job just to get it checked?

Ok - just got word back form the garage.

They say I need a new clutch plate and it will be £240 + VAT for labour and around £80 + VAT for the part.

I rang the local VW centre and they said a 'clutch overhaul' would be £365 for parts labour and VAT.

Any thoughts on this?

Alos; what is a clutch plate and will it get me to Birmingham from London before I have it fixed!

darrenh said:
Ok - just got word back form the garage.

They say I need a new clutch plate and it will be £240 + VAT for labour and around £80 + VAT for the part.

Try another couple of garages to compare

darrenh said:
I rang the local VW centre and they said a 'clutch overhaul' would be £365 for parts labour and VAT.

Probably your most expensive quote, VW ani't cheap but can be used as a yardstick.

darrenh said:
Alos; what is a clutch plate and will it get me to Birmingham from London before I have it fixed!

The clutch plate is generally what people mean when referring to the clutch, which is made up of a number of parts, will it last approx 120 miles, weeeelll, anyones guess, maybe, maybe not !!

VW main agent =£365 all in.

Independant garage? £240 +£80 =£320+vat @£56 =£376 total.

I think they've seen you coming mate.

Go and try somewhere else.

Sponsored Links
Back