VW Polo 1.4 petrol 2015- problem with gears

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
So I'm not very knowledgeable on cars at all but I have been having a reoccurring problem with my car which is a VW polo SEL 1.4 petrol 2015 (3725 mileage). What happens is I will be driving on the dual carriageway in either 5th or 6th gear and going about 70mph, I'll be coming up to a roundabout so begin to slow down when I get to around 30mph or less I change to 3rd gear. Once I am off of the roundabout as soon as I put my foot on the accelerator to pick up speed my car starts making a horrendous noise (as if it's in neutral), and the dash board gear indicator says that I am in either 1st or 2nd gear when my gear stick is still in 3rd. It sounds and feels as though the car has somehow gone into neutral. There will also sometimes be a burning smell. But to sort it out I have to physically put the gear Stick into whatever number the dash board gear indicator is saying and then I can get back into 3rd and 4th etc. This doesn't happen every time I use the car but has happened around 10 times now and can be quite scary. I also took it back to VW for them to have a look but they didn't know what had happened either. If anyone can give me any advice on what is happening that would be fab.

Sponsored Links
If for example, you are driving along in 5th gear......clutch down, when you move the gear lever into neutral does it flick towards the left just a fraction? This is so 4th gear can be available immediately without you guiding it.
The burning smell will be the clutch I expect, but I've no real idea of the problem so long as VW have checked the alignment of the gear selection cables. Its time they kept the car until the problem shows up with them.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If the car appears to be in neutral and there's a burning smell I'd guess the clutch isn't releasing properly and is slipping like fury, getting hot and making the smell of burning linings. If they found it was a fault in the clutch hydraulics I'd still want a new clutch fitted as yours will be cooked . There's some new customer legislation that applies to new cars where the dealer has limited attempts to fix before replacing / refunding

Back