gearbox on upvc window not lifting bolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our house is 6 years old. when we bought it a few months ago, we knew that a few windows were 'sticking' but now more and more are failing in the same way. the lower bolt does not lift (the upper one always works).

i've taken one apart and found that the piece of the gearbox that lifts the bolt moves freely and independently of the handle.

found a replacement here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laird-Sar...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item5f769ea37c

and I am happy to replace them but just wondering if anyone knows why all these windows might be failing all at the same time?

also a few of the windows are now stuck in the locked position and we're unable to open them. anyone know if i can take the handle off and somehow hook the latch up. otherwise i don't know how i am gonna fix these ones.

house is less than 10 years old. builder is out of business but do you think I should try NHBC?

Cheers.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back