gearbox whine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any transmission experts out there? I've got a loudish whine especially so in 1st, quieter though still noticable in 2nd gets quieter again as you go up the gears. Still there if I push the clutch clutch down but disappears in neutral. Should I change the oil then change the box if new oil won't cure it. Or is it more likely to be the clutch bearing?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the gearbox. If its the clutch the noise will be in it, only when
you apply the clutch.

Change the gearbox oil if there is oil in it?

Then if still there go for a secondhand box from your local breaker if your
on a budget, or a reconditioned box if you want.

Could always try a slightly heavier oil, might help a bit.

I suspect this is a fault with the clutch release bearing. Once the clutch is depressed, you effectively disconnect the gearbox from the engine, and the gearbox stops rotating, so there shouldn't be any noise. You need a professional to look at it, because either way, the gearbox will have to come out to replace the clutch and/or the gearbox.

Sponsored Links
What car is this??????

It's a pug 1.5 diesel. Thanks for the other replies too.

Noisy in neutral when not moving i.e input side of gearbox driven by engine. Clutch down dissconnects the box so it was quiet.

On the move however gearbox is rotating from it's connection to the wheels even if the clutch is down, but was quieter in neutral I suppose as that part of the box in effect now only at tickover.

I've now changed the oil (it was full btw!!!) and it does seem to be quieter at least.

As it's now quieter from the new oil I no longer suspect a release bearing problem.

You may pickup a box quite reasonable from a breaker when your not in a
rush for it?

Release bearings and clutches only go on other people, to easy! :rolleyes:

Back