Clutch, gearbox.......or even worse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Citroen Synergie 1.9 turbo diesel people carrier (stop laughing at the back!).

Two weeks ago, the gear change became incredibly notchy, and got to the point where I had to physically force the stick into gear. It was especially bad in 1st and 2nd, but seemed to change. Sometimes 3 and 4 would be worse. Fifth was different in that it was the only forward gear which actually crunched briefly while forcing the stick into place. Reverse occasionally crunched but often engaged perfectly.

Then, all of a sudden, the problem disappeared I had over a week of trouble-free motoring.

However, the problem has returned although it will intermittently disappear.

Any ideas what the fault might be? Would a clutch problem come and go like this? Would a gearbox problem come and go like this?

I'm reluctant to spend 400 knicker on having a new clutch fitted if it turns out that the problem stems from the gearbox.

One other thing: the car always seeps oil (it's French). Could it be something as simple as gearbox oil?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Worn gear linkage?

If the bushes etc on the linkage are worn it could give you gear selection problems.

CJ

Hi I have a similar problem with my Toyota hiace van,difficult selecting 1 and 2,could this be linkage wear too.??????

The first place to look for any gear selection problems would be the linkage or selector for wear etc

So yes it is likely

Sponsored Links
Probably is a clutch fault...form pressure plate upto clutch pedal. Is it hydraulic (leak)? Automatic adjusting mechanism faulty (Intermittant)?

A garage would easily diagnose a dragging clutch or faulty operating system.

Best of luck :)

just my opinion but... ive seen a few of these peoplecarriers about and the engine apears quite remot from the driver/controls, like under the deck floor etc. So a long linkage is needed all suported on bushes etc....and its been raining, maybe its got rusty.

If you're loosing oil, you need to find out where it's coming from. Check the gearbox oil level. The level plug is under the nearside wheel arch. You may have to remove the wing liner to get two it. The end of the transmission will be facing you - the level plug is the biggest bolt on the ring - at about 5o'clock. With the car standing on level ground, oil should just dribble out. If it doesn't, it need topping up.

Back