GEM combi, fault burner keeps going out then relighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know its a bit old now but I`ve got a GEM combi boiler and in the past managed to keep it going :) In the past I`ve changed flow switch(twice) :rolleyes: , the diverter valve, and just a couple of months ago the pump. The problem I have now is if the hot water is required(tap turned on) the boiler does not light for quite awhile, and once lit it pulses on and off for a long period(which is getting longer) :evil: until it finally stabilisers. This on and off of the burner also happens on central heating but not as extreme.
Apart from this boiler runs ok over limit does not trip out etc.
Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.
cheers in Advance,
Dave.

Sponsored Links
This is likely to be a gas fault which is not suitable for a DIY repair.

As you have said its an old boiler so it might be time to consider replacement.

Because they are rather rare you might also have some problem finding a boiler engineer who is comfortable with them as they are now quite rare.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the reply. So do you think modulator or gas valve? Or could it be just low pressure??
Have managed in the past to get spares from european spares ltd.
If you can shed anymore light it would be useful,
cheers again,
Dave.

I am sorry but we are not allowed to give advice on gas work on thisd forum.

Without being in front of the boiler and responding to the results of tests that I cannot make any further suggestions.

I dont expect its anything very terminal though.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Tony, I understand where you`re coming from ;)
Managed to have a little look last night and voltage to modulator was up and down for a short while. But luckily after doing some testing the unit seemed to stabilise, so may have a dry joint on Driver board, but I`m also looking at thermister as a culprit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back