Geminox with RVP75 Controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Geminox split and had to be replaced with a \Grant Oil boiler
The installer put in a Honeywell controller which I think is a bit crude.
I still have my RVP75 controller and all the sensors so want to install that. The sticking point is the mixer 3 port valve. I can't find on as the original, now gone, motored towards open or close by powered inputs, not spring return. Any ideas?
I see that Boilerman answered a question on this controller many years ago

Sponsored Links
You could fit a mixer valve but the controller is obsolete.

Grant do a modern version out of the box themselves, if this type of thing floats your boat.

http://www.grantuk.com/product/grant-geo360-weather-compensator/

You would be far far better off, in energy saving terms with a product like Evohome (Honeywell).

Honeywell also make lots of control systems like the Siemens, such as their Smile controller. But as I say, in energy saving terms, none of of this weather compensating stuff can get near a clever zoning system (which you could have bought in 1998, then called Hometronic, but that is another story).

Last edited:
Sunvic do a 3 port Motor On / Motor Off valve, the SDMV2304. Not my favourite make, but I can't think of anyone else who makes one.

Sponsored Links
To be honest, Dan, I love Evohome but I don't think the installation experience is consistent enough. It has been a few years now, and around 300 installs - yet I still get delayed on installs or have the occasional call back due to bugs in the set up.

My customers love it, but I should be bashing out the programming in less than an hour and it doesn't always go that way.

So I won't be adding any mixing valves or opentherm controllers till I can rely on the other more mundane parts working the same way every time I set them up. Don't want to introduce any more variables. So far no one has been interested in having them, so no jobs lost!

Sunvic do a 3 port Motor On / Motor Off valve, the SDMV2304. Not my favourite make, but I can't think of anyone else who makes one.

Loads of companies make variable 3 port and 4 port valves, we use Belimo usually.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was a control engineer for many years and my experience was mostly with megawatts of electrical heat and drive control using PID controllers and thyristor banks.
I had hoped to save money by re-using the RVP but I have checked out the suggestions and the Grant Weathermaster seems to function in the same way as the RVP while the Evohome seems to be more of a zone controller rather than a boiler controller. I just use TRVs for room heating control as the house only has 2 occupants, 4 bedroom, very large open plan living area but control of the oil burn is my main objective. Control of input heat is easy with all electric heating and with variable gas flow burners but nobody has come up with a variable flow oil pump with a DC controllable motor. Perhaps that's a difficult combustion function.
There is a website for the Hometronic by Honeywell, (sensibleheat.co.uk). It describes zone control down to single rads but doesn't explain how the rad is controlled, radio TRV perhaps?
If I use the RVP, I need a mixing valve with a reversible motor as the RVP has separate 220V outputs for switching open and close and no spring return. Would a mid-position valve be the correct specification? I find the info provided by the valve manufacturers to be a bit confusing. The SDMV2304 info is in that category.
Any further thoughts would be welcome
James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back