General household screws/washers/nails/plugs case???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm looking for an idea of what sort of screws, washers, nails, plugs etc. just to keep in the house for when needed. What are the most commonly needed and are there any trade cases that supply this, please?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The problem with trade cases is that you'll find all of some sizes gone, and others untouched but if you want to go ahead, then try Screwfix 25824 for screws and plugs.
The chances are that 6 and 8mm plugs are all you'll need.
Likewise there are nuts and bolts packs such as 79285.
If you buy 6mm threaded screws, say 120mm long, if you have a hacksaw and a vice you can cut them down.
Nails? A pack of lost head panel pins, and some 11/2" brads for a start - it depends what you have in mind!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

I'll skip the cases then.

Was thinking something like

Half inch 8s
Inch 8s
Inch and half 8s
Red and Brown plugs
Same size washers

That should do me for general round the house stuff?

Yep, but you'll have to go metric :p
I would doubt if you'd ever use 1/2" screws really - popular ones used to be 3/4x6, 1x8, 11/2x10.
If you want a recommendation, for me its Spax every time.
I use Fischer plugs at 6 and 8 and 10mm - the sharp spline on the end almost removes the chance of spinning in softer material.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back