Generator Hookup to Ring Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there an established/standard method of providing a portable generator hookup to the ring-main (or CU incomer) of a domestic property?

The only methods I’ve ever seen myself are cowboy ‘widow maker’ Ceeform to 13amp plug cables.

I assume to do this properly would need to involve a Ceeform hookup socket and some sort of manual/automatic interlock switch that prevented both supplies being active at the same time.

Is this a standard device you can get? If not; what would the circuit look like?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You can buy specific changelover switches.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I...Over_Switches/index.html#Change_Over_Switches

Then you would install an inlet for the generator.

You could buy one big enough to run the whole installation through it, but unless the occupants plan to buy a huge generator it probablly makes sense to install a smaller transfer switch feeding into a second CU that only has the circuits you want on generator fed from it.

Finally you should think about earthing, many generators ship as "IT", this makes sense when feeding a single load but for running a whole installation it can make more sense to install a N-E link to convert them to TN. It also makes sense to have an earth rod so your installation is still tied to earth in the event that the DNO supply is compeltely disconnected.

Sponsored Links
You can get a unit which will synchronize with mains so there is a seamless change over, all power has to go through the unit, as there has to be a system so with a power failure the power from the inverter can't be back fed to mains supply, this safety system makes the unit rather expensive.

Any freezer or fridge needs to have zero pressure before starting, so when there is a mains failure without synchronized back up, then there needs to be a gap between failure and back-up cutting in, the simple method is a plug and two sockets, so on power failure the system requiring back-up is simply unplugged from mains supply and plugged into back-up supply, the time taken it is hoped this takes long enough for pressure in any refrigeration device to drop.

Although you can use pneumatic timers to give the delay, this does not allow time for the power to stabilise before returning to mains, so simple one plug and two sockets is likely the best option.

The other method is always to run on the inverter, that way there is no loss of power as there is no change over.

The other problem is earthing, where you have a TN supply, you can't use the DNO earth, it may simply not be there, the easy way around is to power each item from its own uninterrupted power supply, and often also the cheapest, when I looked into doing it a large unit to supply multi computers cost more than many units one for each computer, and it also resulted if the unit fails you only lose one persons work. However today easy way is the laptop with battery built in.

With a generator the plug and socket has a big advantage, as if the emergency backed up items are supplied from consumer unit with is normally plugged into a 32A socket supplied from main consumer unit, if you unplug to plug into a generator should that generator be replaced likely new one will also have a 32A outlet, so no need change anything when generator replaced.

Big cjive took one of them apart on YouTube and unusually couldn’t see anything wrong. Iirc.

Last edited:
Big cjive took one of them apart on YouTube and unusually couldn’t see anything wrong. Iirc.
I had the privilege to work on a silly installation where a number of these devises were installed. It started with one device and then added to, eventually to the point where a 3ph board had been installed for the newest generator, following it were maybe a dozen C/O units of varying manufacturer. We did replace one of them which couldn't handle the inrush to UPS.
However a fire in the 'switch room' (really a sprawling mess in a corridor) caused a lot of damage and was totally stripped and replaced including a dedicated C/O panel. We were able to inspect them (AKA as the apprentice stripping them for scrap purposes) and decided the cheaper versions did look much cheaper, with more significant pitting of the contacts.

This is in exactly the same vein as those who say they will not use cheap MCB's such as TMA or Pro-Elec, although I do ironically.

Screenshot_20190113-114916.png
Try this.

Yeah the op probably just needs the appropriate 4 width din switch.

But that China one looked good to me.
Something has to be good from there.

Yeah the op probably just needs the appropriate 4 width din switch.
This sort of thing:

upload_2019-1-13_16-17-48.jpeg

But that China one looked good to me.
Something has to be good from there.
Much is, but you need the protection of UK/EU sellers within reach of the law and with reputations to consider.

"Made In China" is not the problem - "Made in and sold directly from a country by someone not subject to UK product safety and consumer rights laws when in that country the falsification of safety standards compliance is a known practice" is.

This sort of thing:

View attachment 156640

Much is, but you need the protection of UK/EU sellers within reach of the law and with reputations to consider.

"Made In China" is not the problem - "Made in and sold directly from a country by someone not subject to UK product safety and consumer rights laws when in that country the falsification of safety standards compliance is a known practice" is.
Prefer turning type with off position like these:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Distribution_and_Switchgear_Index/Change_Over_Switches/index.html?ad_id=79920763788772&source=msn&kw=change over switches&matchtype=p&qry=32A changeover switch&msclkid=35a77baa10e41d4f8727279179adcee0

Not the upper type.

... you need the protection of UK/EU sellers within reach of the law and with reputations to consider.

Occasionally I find myself in agreement with you BAS.
I would not risk buying a product of this type from China and installing it in a customers premises, I would accept it from a UK based importer/trader as I would have a comeback on our law when there is a problem.

I'm sure your pictured item is perfectly adequate but like Tommy I like a rotary switch with a centre off, they somehow feel more intuitive and risk free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back