Generators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a generator that is capable of running my home.

What I want to know is:-

When the mains power goes out can I plug my generator to the house knowing that if I turn the consumer box OFF I am safely segregated from the main grid.

I would not want to electrocute a linesman somewhere down the line.

I will be connecting using an outdoor plug and socket, no risk to me being shocked and of course all the appliances in the house have their own fused plugs fitted.

I know I should employ a qualified electrician to do a proper install, this is just to tide me over during the interim should we lose power.

Sponsored Links
youll be talking £3-9 an hour running costs about £5000 =£1000 fitting costs at a very rough guess so not cheap

you have a change over switch or automatic changeover costing more

I know I should employ a qualified electrician to do a proper install, this is just to tide me over during the interim should we lose power.
There is only one way to safely connect a generator to your house - have an electrician install a transfer (changeover) switch and a suitable wall mounted plug to connect the generator to.

Any other way will put you and others at risk of electrocution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back