Genius of the morning

It's not cars they don't like. They love their own cars. It's us having cars that they don't really like. I never quite worked out how they reckon on charging businesses in the towns exorbitant business rates, and then charging the customers to park in town in order to buy from those businesses. No wonder everyone goes to the supermarkets where there is free parking.

Yes. Then they wonder why many town centres are becoming like ghost towns. Then when shops shut down it dawns on them that they're not profiting from as much council tax from businesses or car parking charges.

You mean something like this? http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/New-pl...s-St/story-18222739-detail/story.html[/QUOTE]

I'm all in favour of pedestrianised shopping centres - Leeds has one of the largest and is very successful - as long as adequate parking is provided conveniently close.

I saw no mention of parking in this article (or perhaps I didn't look properly) which may suggest that the council think that people are going to flock there on foot! I see they are supported by the local tradesmen, though, so I hope their proposals will work. I'm sure they will in the short term, until the novelty wears off.

Sponsored Links
have you ever done some work in a shop in the middle of a pedestrian precinct with no service yard and restricted vehicle access times? it's a right pain and takes ages.

When air-brained mayors and car-hating councils have driven companies out of the cities into out-of-town office/warehousing complexes, the knock-on of the empty offices will be no customers for the shops. They too will close, leaving a ghost town. Income from business rates will go through the floor, and the council will be in dire trouble. The poor residents unfortunate enough to live in those areas will see their council tax spiral, as the council will not, as "good left-wingers" cut staffing or services, or re-evaluate their local plans! I have the misfortune to work in the centre of Bristol, and the six mile journey by bus can take over an hour! By car, before the main rush, it takes over 20 minutes, at peak times nearly one hour! Why do I bother? Never mind, the lease is up for renewal next year. The company might move out-of-town!

Funny thing that! How councils (and they all seem "left wing" to me) never want to cut services or staffing. They seem unable to grasp the simple economic fact which the rest of us have to live with of not spending more than you have coming in!
I went into the local main council offices a while back, and I've never seen so many people busily looking busy. (Or such an overladen trolley of fancy cakes for that matter!) I worked for a government owned industry once upon a time, so I reckon I'm qualified to recognise people trying to look busy! :)

I've worked in the private sector most of my working life, execpt the past 14 years in the NHS.

It is replete with overpaid, egotistical 'empty suits'!!! The managers at the top are absolutely clueless about real life for those doing the jobs. The clinicians are self-obsessed, self-important, ineffective parrots who are great with sound bites but woefully inadequate at actually doing anything.

I could write a book on it! Sufice to say my experience of private businesses, however bad they can be, are nothing compared to the public sector.

Sponsored Links
I've worked in the private sector most of my working life, execpt the past 14 years in the NHS.

It is replete with overpaid, egotistical 'empty suits'!!! The managers at the top are absolutely clueless about real life for those doing the jobs. The clinicians are self-obsessed, self-important, ineffective parrots who are great with sound bites but woefully inadequate at actually doing anything.

I could write a book on it! Sufice to say my experience of private businesses, however bad they can be, are nothing compared to the public sector.

Sounds like the same thing that used to be wrong with all government owned industry, and still applies to all government owned endeavour. Basically they use the "business" whatever it is, for political ends instead of running it in a businesslike manner. I worked for British Steel, and there were managers for everything there at one time. They seemingly spent most of their time having meetings about the next meeting they'd have :). I left just before it was privatised, but from what I heard a lot of those managers and ancillaries went along with the change.

It's not only my experience but that of friends and famiy who work as Civil Servents etc. Job Centre, HRH Post Service, you name it - it's pathetic! Talk about flogging a willing horse!

The feckless managers should be struck off for gross incompetence but they're too stuck up their own arses and, as we all know, turkeys don't vote for Christmas so they're more than happy to carry on as ever.

Deming put it best but the clinicians and moronic managers are too thick to understand: "Eliminate slogans, exhortations, and targets for the work force asking for zero defects and new levels of productivity. Such exhortations only create adversarial relationships, as the bulk of the causes of low quality and low productivity BELONG TO THE SYSTEM AND THUS LIE BEYOND THE POWER OF THE WORK FORCE".

It's like Carry On NHS...

"Eliminate slogans, exhortations, and targets for the work force asking for zero defects and new levels of productivity.

That reminds me of when I was teaching, we had a staff meeting to discuss what we'd say in our new school policy.

In the end, we just copied that of another school and changed it a bit so it didn't look the same.

Ticking boxes! After all, we live in probably the world's biggest bureaucracy.

Sponsored Links
Back