Genny thread that has disappeared

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didnt see the original post from norcon only him quoted but reading what the quote said and then the suggestion of a changeover switch, had me a little baffled.

Firstly I understand the need for changeover switches in a dual supplied system but Norcon was suggesting his shed is solely run off the genny due to practical reasons, so what is the point of a changeover then? As long as this supply isnt mixed with any other say using a long lead to the house for instance.

The Genny supply is also totally independant of the DNO supply and therefore has no reference to it making it inherently safe in reference to the general mass of earth and any DNO supply earthing, surely then the advice of earthing to a DNO supply could be detrimental to this natural isolation? As long as the genny has its own earthing system then reference to earth exists in case of fault, any other earth reference is meaningless.

Sponsored Links
Not really sure why the whole thread has been removed.

Smells like over-moderation at its finest.

Anyway norcon wasnt talking about just supplying the garage with his genny, he was suggesting using the house supplied socket outlets in the garage to feed power INTO the house electrics, without any use of a changeover switch.

Hence it being dangerous and illegal.

Ah so it is, my apologies.

It has vanished off down the page and i thaught it had been deleted.

Sponsored Links
I think it was taken off while the editing work was done, then reinstated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back