Georgian/lead windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an original Georgian bar door/bay at the rear of my house & leaded in fanlights at front. All need replacing. Would it be best to keep it original or is this combination a bit odd. I do like the look of full lead in the front which a couple of houses in the road has. in which case rear would have to be plain. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I guess so, just wont be able to have the full lead at front. Some of the houses look a bit 'richer' to me or maybe its just me! lol

Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by "full lead" and why you say you won't be able to have it. Is it not just replacing a fanlight or two?

Sponsored Links
At present there is lead in the top windows, as most of the houses. A couple have full lead (top/bottom windows) and looks quite nice. If I keep the rear Georgian bar Im wondering if full lead at the front will just look wrong!

Ah I understand now.
For what it's worth I would tend to go for just the tops leaded. Firstly if that is what the majority of other houses have it does help create a sense of "continuaty" and secondly leaded lights do tend to block the light to a degree and can be distracting to look through although they do look attractive especially from the outside.

Thanks I really appreciate your comment(s). One of the new neighbours up the road had full lead put in the same as his neighbour, but then had it taken out and now has leaded toplights only, as he wanted to blend in with the majority of all the other houses apparently. Your points do make sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back