German Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to Germany next month. Is there a standard German socket? I do not want to take a load of adaptors so I can charge my phone and tablet. I an guessing two round pins but m nor sure.

Sponsored Links
How about buying a four-way trailing socket and a Schuko plug, cutting off the 13A UK plug and fitting the Schuko in its place? Schuko plugs can be bought from RS-Online and CPC-Farnell as well as Amazon and E-Bay. That way you will be able to change four items all at the same time, and, if your charger or other device requires earthing, it is far less likely for the earth connection to be compromised than with a travel adapter.

Sponsored Links
Germany is quite an advanced country. They have shops, and electricity, and mobile phones, and laptops.

If it was me I would walk into a high-street outlet there and buy a charger with a USB socket. Just like you would if you had travelled to Birmingham or Glasgow and forgotten your charger.

I will be surprised if it costs you much more than €5. Take your own USB cable and maybe save €1.

They probably sell them at the airport and main train station.

here are some examples
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=usb charger handy tablet -car&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Incidentally - good news

ONE MONTH TO GO! From 15 June 2017 you will no longer pay
#roaming charges when travelling to another EU country!
1f4f2.png

Want to know how 'Roam Like At Home' works? We have the answers to your questions here:
http://europa.eu/!vu79Vq

What a good idea, to have a Europe-wide single market without barriers.

18446631_1380587321988744_6977524827157201526_n.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/EuropeanCo...898832590939/1380587321988744/?type=3&theater

Last edited:
How about buying a four-way trailing socket and a Schuko plug, cutting off the 13A UK plug and fitting the Schuko in its place? Schuko plugs can be bought from RS-Online and CPC-Farnell as well as Amazon and E-Bay. That way you will be able to change four items all at the same time, and, if your charger or other device requires earthing, it is far less likely for the earth connection to be compromised than with a travel adapter.

Buying Schuko plugs from those places in the UK is a rip off compared with Germany.

The adapter from B & Q I linked to is cost effective and does not compromise the earth connection unlike many other adapters.

What a good idea, to have a Europe-wide single market without barriers.
It's a ridiculous, offensive and criminal idea to try to impose political union at a supra-national level and render countries non-existant.

that's an interesting hypothetical idea, but since it does not arise, and both the British Empire and the Soviet Union have almost entirely collapsed, it is of no existential importance.

A Single Market, however, does exist and is of great benefit.

nobody knows where, or what, the UK/RoI border will end up.

I have a 4 way extension lead with an iec c14 connector on the end (kettle plug) I then take the appropriate "Kettle lead" with me when I go away.

Sponsored Links
Back