Caravan With German Wiring/Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

My younger sister has just bought a caravan for her and her partner to stay in when they visit my place (very often) and will be leaving it where it is.

I looked at the electrics, probably original with the caravan (1989), and noticed the following:

Supply inlet usual 16 amp type connector

Enclosure after this containing 10 Amp type B DP MCB (no RCD protection)

Wiring (flexible cord) feeds German "Schuko" Style sockets

I can arrange a power supply ok but need to know what to do regarding the sockets-the previous owner just used continental adaptors for british plugs which he has given her with a microwave and toaster.

However, although sockets are earthed, the adptors have no earth contact and say "for two wire unearthed equipment only". Can you get these adaptors with an earth contact?

I don't think she will want to go through all the sockets to be changed to BS 1363s.

Is there anything else that needs improving?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Have a read of BS7671 section on caravan installations, it outlines what is required. Personally I'd swop the sockets for UK ones (thinking they may need to be DP switched?), 30mA RCD on the incomer too.
Apart from this have a look at the wiring too and make sure it is up to the job.

Wiring (flexible cord) feeds German "Schuko" Style sockets

Flexible cable is quite normal within "touring" caravans, in fact, I'm pretty sure it has to be used to meet our regs. Solid conductors don't like the vibration when under tow.

If it's a European van, (entrance door on our off side) be a little careful with the polarity when changing to UK outlets. I would check it end to end.

First regulations
Caravans are the only thing where two RCD's have to be used one on supply and one in caravan. I would say this is because they don't trust the caravan sites to comply with the rules.
They should also have a TT supply i.e. Earth rod.
German "Schuko" Style sockets are not permitted under British regulations.

Having said that you need to use some common sense. With a flex cable feeding the caravan that cable will need protecting and so it really does need to be feed from a RCD in the house. So long as it is remaining in your premises I would not bother fitting one in the caravan.

As to TT requirements I have questioned this before as if close to a house with TN-C-S supply there could be also danger where two different earthing systems are used close together so I would not worry about it.

As to sockets RS Components do an adaptor
Schuko-UK2.jpg
one way and I am sure they also will do one the other way but it causes so much hassle where small transformers etc are used most likely better to change to UK. As to being against regulations I would not really worry.

The reason I tell you they are non compliant is if you did intend to use away from your house it could cause problems and better you know your non compliant before you turn up at a camp site and are refused a hook up than after.

As to wiring inside caravan it must be in flex under new regulations.

I normally buy my German "Schuko" Style sockets while on holiday as extension leads then change the plug when I get back so I can plug in transformers which plug direct into socket.
The problem with the German "Schuko" Style sockets is the plug can be reversed and in UK we only need to have fuse and switch on line wire.

Also if you ask an electrician to do the work he may refuse to break the regulations but for what you are doing as long as supplied through a RCD I would not worry.

I bet I get told off for saying this. But something I do think regs go OTT

Sponsored Links
Evening, Thanks for everyones help so far.

They should also have a TT supply i.e. Earth rod.

The house supply is TT with main S type 100 mA RCD and 30mA for all sockets and outdoor circuits.

Flexible cable is quite normal within "touring" caravans

As to wiring inside caravan it must be in flex under new regulations.

I am actually aware of the flexible cord requirements for caravan installations, I have another caravan I own myself and I wired it using flex with help from this Electrics UK forum-topic entitled "Small Caravan".

As for the sockets etc, I too personally would rather them be changed and everything upgraded but it is not ultimately up to me, it is just that using earthed equipment from the adaptors mentioned obviously cannot be very safe (or up to regs as others have mentioned).

Regards to Everybody

Buy a normal 4 way extension lead and change plug to one of these available from RS Components for £4.69 Click on picture to go the RS Components page. I am sure local whole sale outlet can do them cheaper but is it really worth the running around?

Evening Everybody

Sorry to go on about all this but I had a better look today and found a few things.

I plugged a 4 way extension into one of the sockets via the adaptor and the earth pin of the plug DOES make contact with the earthing contact of the socket. However I plugged a socket tester into the extension it showed L-N Reverse and this goes for every socket!!!

A lamp inside the caravan hung at the end and controlled by a built-in switch near the cooker is also live when switched off!!!

I know this is typical with caravans but personally would not be prepared to use it myself.

Many Thanks

In the consumer unit of many caravans there is a change over switch which swaps line and neutral.

Designed for when using abroad and it is to correct when plug is put in upside down.

Check if you have one and if so try switching before going to any great lengths.

Somethimes there is a crappy adaptor where the caravan plugs in which can be insterted upside down

The Spanish socket
100px-Spanish_3-prong_plug%26socket.jpg
is not reversible but it seems many are now using German "Schuko" plug which seems to be used in many European countries in preference to they own.

180px-L_plug.jpg
These are the odd ones, the centre pin is slightly offset to one side but not enough to stop you getting them in up-side down.

Also our shaver adaptors have been questioned as using these because they extend the holes to fit many shaver plugs you can plug a 13 amp plug into them without any earth connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back