Bad, bad outside wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of a little re-furb project. I thought that I would put together a wee montage of what I found when working through the existing wiring to the outside.

I should mention that this is a TT supply. So far I have not identified an earth electrode, bonding to any service or any RCD. The existing board is a Wylex with BS3036 re-wireables :rolleyes:
The customer's wife said she got a shock one day while in the bath while her husband messed around with some electrical stuff in the house - hardly surprising.
So a full emergency safety sort out for them is underway.

I thought the following pictures that show how the electrical supply had been provided for
an outside socket
and outside light
and a feed to a small shed.
This should amuse the pro's and serve as a warning to DIYers on how not to do it!

Firstly. The source of the supply View media item 18509The double socket is a spur. It fed a washing machine and tumble dryer. The two way adaptor allows a TV amp to be powered from here too.
From the bottom of the socket there is another spur. in 1.0mm² T&E :rolleyes: .
This goes into a junction boxView media item 18504out of the junction box there are three lengths of 1.0mm² T&E
One goes through the wall to an outside socket View media item 18508 this is a standard metalclad socket with a wooden enclosure round the sides. The top sloped and is waterproofed with a bit of roofing felt.

The second piece of 1.0 goes to an FCU to switch and outside light. The feed to the light is more standrd twin and earth and goes through the wall and trails, unprotected through the flower beds View media item 18507 until it emerges up the wall to the light.
Note how the installer has cleverly damaged the cable (clip removed for clarity)View media item 18505
The last of the three cables again trails through the flower beds. It is 'protected' as it has been run between the house and the shed - by a piece of oval conduit. View media item 18510
It took me a while to find where the cable terminated in the shed. There is a light (working) but there, hidden in the depths - behind the gardening crud was this! View media item 18506
Dear reader. Do not worry - none of this is still connected.
I am waiting for the customer to get back from their extended holiday in NZ so they can approve my extensive quotation for remedials!

Sponsored Links
Just noticed the images cant be seen. Give me 5 mins to sort it!

Edit: Done. I'd made new album but not viewable by anybody but me :oops:

Sponsored Links
Think you should hide them again before someone decides to use it as a guide for theirs! :LOL: :LOL:

I found one of them sockets in a birdhouse type affairs when I moved in :LOL: never gave any problem though, which always suprised me.

Gone now however.

That roofing felt socket cover is awesome, I can just imagine the guy sitting down after a hard days work with his beer in hand explaining to his wife how much money he just saved.

It was all so bad that I never got to do an IR test on it.

I bet he doesn't agree that there is anything wrong with it.

"Its been OK for 15 years, why does it need to be changed?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back