Cooker Isolator with two 20+ Amp outlets?

Sponsored Links
Have I got this wrong? I thought the plug in the picture was the present oven.

The plug feeds the cheap standalone 800w Microwave (what I am replacing) and the main switch feeds the existing steam oven.

I have had a change of plan, I will fit a single 20A isolator (fed from the spare 2.5mm² T&E) in the top cupboard that is above where the new combi built-in microwave will go and connect it to the same 20A MCB as the main steam oven Leaving the original cooker isolator-socket alone.

Yes, I know this is classed as a new circuit and thus is notifiable.

.... and connect it to the same 20A MCB as the main steam oven Leaving the original cooker isolator-socket alone. Yes, I know this is classed as a new circuit and thus is notifiable.
If I understand you correctly, that does not sound to me like something which would constitute a 'new circuit' as far as BS7671 is concerned - since everything protected by one MCB is classed by BS7671 as 'a (i.e. one) circuit'.

Your guess is as good as mine as to whether the same definition applies to the notification requirements, since the Building Regs do not define what is meant by a 'new circuit'. However, as I recently wrote, in the absence of a definition in that legislation, I think a court would probably look to the BS7671 definitions.

Kind Regards, John

Well the 16A MCB would have to be replaced with a 20A one, and the provisioned spare non terminated 2.5mm² T&E cable in the DB terminated to the same 20A MCB.

On a side note, Trust TLC to be closed on this bank holiday! :(

Sponsored Links
New isolator ready for when Combi Oven Microwave arrives tomorrow. Know the new isolator is not in the best position and that a disabled person would not be able to access it and that you have to reach above the new oven to isolate it, but at least it is not hidden behind a large draw.

R1+R2=0.49Ω, 500V IR (L-N,N-E,E-L) all >=200MΩ, polarity √, 25M run of 2.5mm² T&E from DB to Appliance (2.6% VD); so all good there.

New Isolator, Top left of top cupboard:

Existing Isolator behind draw:

(n) Just realised that you should not place isolators above cookers/ovens in accordance with the OSG. Looks like I am in breach of reg 537.4.1.4 & 537.4.2.5

The isolator for the main bottom oven in behind a draw and awkward to get to, but that was not my doing.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back