Connect Oven to a Cooker Outlet

And the reason the flex is unlikely to effect it is because the short length of the flex (1-2m) and the difference in diameter (2.5mm² vs 4mm²) is likely to make little difference to the EFLI compared to the 'fixed' part of the installation at 6mm²/4mm² which runs the distance from the CU to the cooker outlet?
... plus, as EFLI (the person!) said, the 'fixed'part of the fault current path ('loop') all the way back to the transformer at the local sub-station.

So, the new little bit of cable will make very little difference to the EFLI (the impedance!) or the potential 'fault current' in the case of a dead short. What one has to do is ascertain (by measurement) what that fault current would be (as I said, virtually the same with or without the new little bit of cable) and then, by calculation, determine whether the new bit of cable could 'tolerate' that current for the very brief period before an MCB of fuse disconnected the supply (without melting or otherwise being damaged) - which, as has been said, it very probably would be able to do.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: too slow typing, yet again :)

Sponsored Links
However, without knowing I think it inadvisable to say on a DIY forum that it definitely will be.
I understand why you would give the advice to use 4mm² - you need to give an answer based on the facts you know.

Thanks very much once again for your helpful responses - I have learned a great deal.

Edit: Thanks John :)

saying-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back