"Get off my land"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well we're about to buy our first house and very excited about it and even tho I,m against land ownership in principal, I'd like to know just how much of the planet I own ? does it include the land under the house or just the foundations and if it does include the land beneath the house how far down does it go? a mile? or maybe the core? do any of you know the answer of this question that is tormenting me, thanks in antisipation
Richard
p.s it would be good to get an answer before the effects of this bottle of wine wear off!!!!

Sponsored Links
You have no mineral rights, so if oil is discovered in your back garden, it's not yours. You do not own anything above your roof top.

Sorry, but if you've taken out a mortgage the answer is near "nothing".

Remember - keep up the payments, you'll owe them, as we do, for a long time.

Oh, and if some friendly "did" lands there with his caravan, he'll have more rights than you.

All cut and dried with the land registry ?
Just what do they do ? Just what do we own ? when one gets down to the last inches, feet, yards -- where are the boundaries ?

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/publications/default.asp?pubtype=241

Better hope your neighbour does not decide to nick some of your land. See PG006 'Boundary questions' at the landregistry --- another safely pensioned haven where f'k all useful is achieved.

Does the title plan show my boundary?
The word "boundary" has no special meaning in law. In land ownership, it is understood in two
ways:
+ The legal boundary - is the line which is not visible on the ground which divides one person's land from another's. It is an exact line having no thickness. It is rarely identified with any precision either on the ground or in the deeds.
+ The physical boundary; is a physical feature such as a fence, wall or a hedge.
The legal boundary may be intended to follow the physical boundary, but this is not always the case. For example, the legal boundary may run down the centre of a hedge, along either of its
sides, or anywhere within or beyond it

P

Sponsored Links
Richardp said:
I,m against land ownership in principal,

Eh? But owning stuff is good. Yay capitalism!

What about Newcastle with it's Metro system? I doubt they could have got every single land owner above the Metro to agree to having a tunnel dug under them, especially not without paying inordinate sums of money. So, it is reasonable to assume that they were allowed to do it without consultation with the land owners above. I didn't use London as an example, iirc the whole of Westminster is owned by the Duke of Westminster (that's why even the grandest of houses is sold under lease).

To be on the safe side you could always have a series of piles driven way down into your garden, like an underground fence!

First you have to prove it is your garden .... snouters required again, can we do owt without them ?
P

Put a rottweiler or a rather large male alsation in your garden... it's amazing how people will respect your boundaries then! :LOL:

I had some neighbours build a massive extension a few years back. As part of this they annexed about a foot of land that existed between my driveway and their back garden. Didn't belong to me or to them, so I didn't mind too much... but they then wanted to have their new garden gate opening on to my driveway! Funnily enough someone in the planning office pointed out to them that it wouldn't really be on.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that no citizen is actually allowed to "own" their land as it all belongs to the sovereign but you buy the right to live and build on it.

That's a bit of a grey area though. The Crown only has title because William the Conqueror decided he would own the land, which wasn't really legal.

Ah! so you could say that as our Royals ran out of heir in 1840 and was substituted by the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family from Germany its even more of a grey area and it would also explain why Prince harry was wearing his national costume at a party and wrongly accused of thoughtlessness.

If the queen owns my garden why can't she do some of the bloody weeding?

All land is royal property, all you own is the deeds, which are a promise to the land. So you effecitvely own it, but the government has the right to take it straight off you (although the European Human rights thingy say they have to pay you compensation).

I have read that when France was building the TGV network they pretty much put a ruler on the map and drew straight lines between the cities. Anything in the way (i.e. houses) was bought and bulldozed, no fannying about. Seems pretty harsh, even when compared to rail and road engineering projects in the UK, but it worked and they got their nippy trains.

Presumably the French legal system also allows the government to prescribe what happens to the land, even though a citizen owns the deeds.

Oh, and if the Queen owns all the swans, surely she is responsible for cleaning up their poo. Dog owners have to do it, why shouldn't swan owners? Anyone who has made the mistake of sitting on a riverside bench in Surrey without looking first will understand why this bothers me! ;)

*Draws up elaborate plan to be shat on be a swan, and to sue the queen for compensation*

:evil:

Sponsored Links
Back