Electrics setup all strange after electrician has been out. Riddle inside (stiff drink needed)...

Well problem was resolved within an hour of them coming out.

I wasn't there as i was at work, but my wife told me what happened.

They had all the light switches off in all the rooms. There was a lot of turning off & on. It was basically just that when the extension had been built, either they had some DIY electrician or some cowboy or something and the lighting had been wired up wrong. It'd been mixed in together or something. So he sorted that out.

So we will have always had this issue. We just wont have noticed it until now because we haven't had need to flick the power on/off & when we did have to do it, the light switches must've just happened to be in such a sequence that killing the power did what it was supposed to at that moment in time.

So now when you kill the downstairs, the entire downstairs is properly killed. This includes the hall light - so no more landing light going off with the downstairs & hall light going off with the upstairs. The entire lot has been put right.

So was nothing that the original spark did at all in the end. It was just coincidental that it just came about after they'd done the work.

Thanks to all those who gave their time on this. At least it's been put right in the end :)

Sponsored Links
Well problem was resolved within an hour of them coming out.

I wasn't there as i was at work, but my wife told me what happened.

They had all the light switches off in all the rooms. There was a lot of turning off & on. It was basically just that when the extension had been built, either they had some DIY electrician or some cowboy or something and the lighting had been wired up wrong. It'd been mixed in together or something. So he sorted that out.

So we will have always had this issue. We just wont have noticed it until now because we haven't had need to flick the power on/off & when we did have to do it, the light switches must've just happened to be in such a sequence that killing the power did what it was supposed to at that moment in time.

So now when you kill the downstairs, the entire downstairs is properly killed. This includes the hall light - so no more landing light going off with the downstairs & hall light going off with the upstairs. The entire lot has been put right.

So was nothing that the original spark did at all in the end. It was just coincidental that it just came about after they'd done the work.

Thanks to all those who gave their time on this. At least it's been put right in the end :)

And the smoking burglar alarm ? was that the origional elctricians fault as well ?:cautious: ………..

Regards,
DS

Is it possible this problem has always been there, but only noticed it now?

For example, if a switch is incorrectly wired up, and it takes a certain sequence of switch-throwing to show up a fault?

What's my prize?:sneaky:

Sponsored Links
LoL.

I thought i mentioned the burglar alarm a page or so back?

The guy said that was possibly due to the electricity coming & going during the floods & then us switching the mains on/off/on/off as we were testing the lighting sequence. The PCB got fried & needed replacing.

The guy said that was possibly due to the electricity coming & going during the floods & then us switching the mains on/off/on/off as we were testing the lighting sequence. The PCB got fried & needed replacing.
If you have a guy who thinks that turning the supply to a burglar alarm on and off could cause it to catch fire then you need a new guy - yours is broken.

Yeah it never actually caught fire.
I thought it was smoking but when i asked my wife to be certain on what happened she said she just smelled smoke, not that smoke was bellowing out.
A new fuse was put in by the spark & this blew straight away, so he said we needed to get the alarm guy out.
He tried to get it to work but said it was beyond it & he'd replaced a few of that exact model after the power outs on the back of the floods & it'd be a new unit totally.
Which has so far worked perfectly fine.

I think the spark cost about £80 when he came out to put it right. Spent around an hour here with his apprentice.

So all is well ! Your happy ,builders happy, electricans happy,and the alarm guys happy :ROFLMAO:

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back