'Some' Downstairs Lights not working??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very strange thing just happened. I turned the lights on to kitchen diner and they flashed and circuit shorted. I have 2 switches on one light switch plate, each working a pendant light, one in kitchen and one in kitchen diner area. Kitchen halogen and diner mini bulbs.

I checked the trip and the 'upstairs lights' switch had tripped.

I checked the switch and the wires to the kitchen side of the switch fell out as I removed the switch from the wall. Replaced them and no joy. Figured switch is broken so bought and rewired into a new one, no joy.

Just noticed that lounge light (off at time) is also not working (heat sensitive dimmer) for pendant light with mini bulbs.

Downstairs hall and toilet lights are fine (normal bulbs in pendant lights). All upstairs lights and all sockets fine.

I changed the kichen, diner and lounge light fittings 18 months ago from standard buld pendants but have had no issues. The kitchen & diner light switch looks about 2-3 years old and never and problems. I replaced normal dimmer in lounge 12 months ago with no probs.

Why are some lights working and not others? Help please

Sponsored Links
More detail on kitchen/diner light fittings please.

And is the switch a dimmer or not?

Are you certain you have connected switch correctly?

Switch is one plate with two switches. Each switch operates one light each - on / off. One light is in kitchen and the other in the dining area of the kitchen. No other switches operate these lights. Neither are dimmers.

Standard light switch, with L1, L2 and C? for each button. Four cables feed from ring into switch and green/yellow earth linked to back plate.

When i removed the original switch plate, I had a cable to L1 and one to adjoining C. I linked the free cables to L1 and C on the other switch.

Any reason why this has affected the lounge? Very confusing ~(

I would check for the connections at the pendant light in the kitchen. As that was the circuit you last switched on.
You may have a loose looped neutral connection.

KA

Sponsored Links
Electrician attended and problemn solved. Hall light (still working) was the culprit. Appears the plastic sheathing had been cut back too much when electrics fitted (10+ years ago) and exposed wires in the block causing the short.

Wires must have been moved closer a couple of years ago when last homeowner moved out and probably changed light pendant.

I'm now going to invest in a power checker so at least next time i can narrow down the source! Lesson for me - check ALL the lights, even the working ones!!

Thanks for advice guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back