Getting a universal goodmans control to work with old television

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've confused myself. I want to program the goodmans remote control URC 60500R01-11, to a sony KVM1420U.

What's the four digit code I need? I managed to program a sky control to work with a much younger television but this one is proving much harder.

Sponsored Links
You don't say how old each device is, but some older universal remotes aren't compatable with newer tv's. There's a manual search mode on any universal remote I've used... try that, and be prepared to press the relevant up or down button for a while.

Hi Alan, the goodmans control is for a goodmans freeview box approximately 5 years, the television is about 20-30 years old, I still have the remote control for the televison. So I can view the freeview on this television using the freeview box and the programmes will be changeable using the goodmans freeview remote control, but for some reason the volume is only changeable using the televison remote control.

Ah--I have a similar issue. Goodmans box and a 1968 ITT CVC2 colour set.

The Remote for the Box Only Controls the SCART sound output level, and Not the RF sound output level.

Either use the remote for the TV for the sound or if that set has SCART connect via that and all should be well....

BTW--Hawkeye....

That Post Box in your picture.....
--Its just round the corner from me! The PO cleaned it but didnt paint it. The second message someone wrote on it was 'Poor job, have some pride do it properly'
--Week later, it was done properly. Took 'em all day to rub it all down and repaint all nice!!
--Someone even made a sign after and posted in front saying 'Result'!!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The Sony 4-digit codes for that remote are 0742 1505 1651 1010 and 0011. The code library built in to these type of remotes isn't infinite, so even though TV manufacturers stick with code sets for quite a while there may come a time when they move to new ones. The remote manufacturer (URC in this case I think) takes this in to account. They'll weigh up the popularity of the TV's sold in previous years and then include those with the greatest probability of being encountered.

If it's not simply the limitation of an RF connection as AlastairE pointed out then you could always try the Auto Search feature on the remote.

Ah--I have a similar issue. Goodmans box and a 1968 ITT CVC2 colour set.

The Remote for the Box Only Controls the SCART sound output level, and Not the RF sound output level.

Either use the remote for the TV for the sound or if that set has SCART connect via that and all should be well....

BTW--Hawkeye....

That Post Box in your picture.....
--Its just round the corner from me! The PO cleaned it but didnt paint it. The second message someone wrote on it was 'Poor job, have some pride do it properly'
--Week later, it was done properly. Took 'em all day to rub it all down and repaint all nice!!
--Someone even made a sign after and posted in front saying 'Result'!!

lol so British. Can't remember where I first came across it but it did make me smirk.

The Sony 4-digit codes for that remote are 0742 1505 1651 1010 and 0011. The code library built in to these type of remotes isn't infinite, so even though TV manufacturers stick with code sets for quite a while there may come a time when they move to new ones. The remote manufacturer (URC in this case I think) takes this in to account. They'll weigh up the popularity of the TV's sold in previous years and then include those with the greatest probability of being encountered.

If it's not simply the limitation of an RF connection as AlastairE pointed out then you could always try the Auto Search feature on the remote.

Many thanks, 1505 worked so now I've got both the volume and channel controls on one remote, happy days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back