Getting air circulating. Specifically quiet inline fans.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Need a bit of advice regarding ventilating our basement/garden level flat, typical Glasgow sandstone solid walls.

The plan is to insulate the bedroom and improve ventilation.

There is currently a vent through the front (lounge) wall and a vent in the party wall of the bedroom. This one seems to go somewhere as you can feel slight movement into the vent - no idea where it vents to though! (Should be able to investigate when we do the insulation)

I've got a new bathroom vent on the way that should be more powerful and has a permanent trickle mode so will always run. Bathroom has 2 external walls and no windows.

I want to do similar in the kitchen (it's more or less open plan) to help circulate air in the lounge. The thing I really need advice on is how to do this bit.

The duct from cooker hood to outside is approx 12m long. I've thought about putting a 100mm inline fan in the duct, about half way along and leaving it running on a slow-ish speed to provide constant background ventilation. Would this work or is there a reason this is a really bad idea?

Also would surrounding the fan in fibreglass insulation cause it any problems or are they cool running so no issue?

Finally for the bedroom the plan is to just add a second vent through the wall. Maybe a "Passyfier" type - do these actually work any better than a standard vent or are they just a gimmick?

Cheers & apologies for the long post!

Sponsored Links
Ask the mods to transfer your post to the electricians forum.

Personally, i've no experience of "Passyfier"vents.

Cross venting from two different walls with conventional vents might do the trick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back