Fan and Ducting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,i hope you are well.
About 6 months ago an electrician installed a vent axia silhouete 150xt (241m3/hr 20w 3mtr recommened ducting) into out small bathroom.

Instead of roofer puting roof vent directly above bathroom he put it at other side of building above kitchen were kitchen vent is (5.486mtrs ducting length). Vent axia only permits 3mtrs + theres also a 90 degree bend when ducting goes up to vent.

I dont know much about fans or ducting but when i have recently tried insulating our loft i needed to remove ducting to access area of loft.
When i removed ducting at roof vent there was a few bits of dripping condensation. I tried phoning electrician weeks ago but no answer.

I was thinking of replacing the axial fan with an inline fan + insulated soil pipe ducting +condensation trap as i read its more efficiant at pushing the hot air out of the vent.
Where im getting confused is the vent axia installed in bathroom (shower +bath+toilet. Installed on ceiling) is rated at 241m3/hr and when i look at inline fan were as the inline fan is rated at 220/280m3/hr which doesnt seem that much better.

Im also wondering how the hell i can set up a condensation trap as i only have an overflow pipe coming from loft cold water tank with no option to fit another pipe (inaccessable roof skeilings and high granite walls).

Last thing (thanks for sticking with me) is,am i capable of replacing the vent axia fan electrics with an inline fan myself. Im an ok diy'er.

I appreciate any help as flat is freezing (26 rolls of new insulation crammed into small livingroom for 3 weeks as cant put insulation until i fix this issue. Wife not happy).

Thanks for your time.
Teddy

Attachments

• vas150xt.jpg
    vas150xt.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 129
  • ducting(1).jpg
    ducting(1).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
Could you go out through the wall using as much solid pipe as possible with a slight fall on it?

Wrong forum, but you could replace the fan with something a lot more powerful, you get far less condensation as the fan moves the air quicker and helps prevent any build up. Easy enough to add a roof vent where you want it .

i agree with the theabove replies.

from what i can understand, youve got a kitchen extractor an a seperate bathroom extractor?
whatever, dont mix ther ducting or connect both ducts .
in the photo you have a loose ductin connection of flexi duct going/pushed into a bit of 110mm soil pipe - thats well wrong.plus youve got a massive dip that'l trap bugs an moisture until it blocks.

bathroom elecs come under "Special Location" regs - so do kitchens.

best, as above, transfer this thread to sparkies forum.

Sponsored Links
The most flexible duct you use the greater the resistance you introduce to your system. The DW144 standard permits a maximum of 500mm of flex. That connection on to that soil looks like it isn't going to help with that either.

Condensate traps are only really effective in vertical runs where there's the greatest chance of warm and cold air coming into contact rather than horizontal runs.

you get far less condensation as the fan moves the air quicker and helps prevent any build up

As it's in a loft void, if uninsulated you have the same problem with condensation forming on the exterior duct wall.

as above, transfer this thread to sparkies forum.

I've made fortunes this year putting right domestic MHRV systems electricians installed.

--

We'll leave it in building. Vent Axia Wiring is nothing special. Do remember that any extractor fan can only work if there's somewhere that lets air IN!
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back