Ducting for in line extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My axial extractor fan in ensuite has given up the ghost and looking to replace it with a more powerful inline fan.
My husband's friend who is fitting it is a retired bathroom fitter and he was going to use the existing flexi ducting which isn't insulated however everything I read online suggests ducting should be insulated. The existing ducting currently runs between layers of existing insulation so is technically insulated but the inline fan will be sat on a joist so I think will be a bit higher and unable to be covered properly. I was thinking he should fit proper insulated flexi ducting.
It's a short run - 1-2 metres max & will exit out the soffit.
He seems to think there shouldn't be any problems using existing ducting and says he has never had to fit insulated ducting previously.
I don't want to offend him/feel like I'm telling him how to do his job but am I right? Mainly concerned about potential condensation building up (he says it shouldn't be an issue as the ducting will slope down to soffit).
Can condensation build up on exterior of flexi ducting and drip on ceiling?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ducting does not need to be insulated it depends on the material and location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back