Getting Audio From My telly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a smart TV, an LG 55QNED816QA TV, it has spare HDMI's available and an Optical out, I would like to rig it up to a conventional (old school) amplifier and speakers, the amp has phono inputs, having a bit of a google it seems different options may be available but what conversion gadgetry should I use to get the best sound quality, within reason (cost wise)? I believe I can gt an HDMI to phono plug converter or an Optical o phono plug converter, not sure if any other options exist?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You've actually got a headphone socket!
A plain and simple 3.5mm jack to phono cable may do it :)

No it doesn't have a headphone socket.
From your link:
Screenshot_20221209-222750_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
No, pic from the back of my TV:

lg.jpeg

You'll note that (when looking with a PC) the pic on the LG website says it's a stock image that varies by location.

Last edited:
No, pic from the back of my TV:
Ok, sorry. I don't see the stock image message from my mobile.
I believe I can gt an HDMI to phono plug converter or an Optical o phono plug converter, not sure if any other options exist?
I think you will have to stick to one of those - there is also the option of a Bluetooth receiver, but that adds unnecessary complexity.
Personally, I would go with an optical DAC.
There are some available on Amazon for around £10. At that price, it may be worth trying one as a throw away item.
Theoretically a cheap DAC should still sound reasonable, although it's always worth having decent phono cables to go with it.

So I have a smart TV, an LG 55QNED816QA TV, it has spare HDMI's available and an Optical out, I would like to rig it up to a conventional (old school) amplifier and speakers, the amp has phono inputs, having a bit of a google it seems different options may be available but what conversion gadgetry should I use to get the best sound quality, within reason (cost wise)? I believe I can gt an HDMI to phono plug converter or an Optical o phono plug converter, not sure if any other options exist?

The best way to do this is either an optical to analogue stereo convertor like this
1670630625493.png

These are somewhere between £8 and £30 or more, but honestly there's no point spending a bundle. Something that decodes 192kHz hi-res audio is a waste when the TV does basic 44 and 48kHz stereo.

The only thing that's useful is having one one that's mains powered via a wall adapter PSU. The cheaper convertors give you a little USB power cable to tap the supply from the TV. That's fine if the USB has enough current (the voltage will be fine) but it's not so good if you want to plug a hard drive or UB pen drive in to play or record. It is personal choice though, so each to their own.

The other option is something with HDMI, bit only if there's a HDMI ARC socket on the TV.

1670631489692.png

It has to be an ARC audio extractor and not just a standard HDMI audio extractor. ARC audio is carried on a different pin within a HDMI plug/socket to the standard audio signal via HDMI. A standard HDMI audio extractor won't work for ARC.

The one in the link also includes inputs for optical and coaxial digital audio too. That's quite handy as it keeps options open. This one is £24

Except for interconnect leads, that should do you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back