Tv audio out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got one of these ere new fangled bent samsung tellys (sorry, curved telly). it was a bit of a rushed purchase as our old telly just stopped working after 8 years reliable service.

I'm amazed that there appears to be no way to extract analogue audio from the telly to feed it into a decent speaker system. I've always been able to do this, even got creative with a scart-to-twin phono adapter once on my dads old 24 inch toshiba crt telly.

This tv has a fibre optic sound output. But i want an analogue out as that's what my speaker system accepts and I've always used. The speaker system (sony home cinema/blu ray system) does have a fibre input but it doesnt appear to work. does this usually have to be turned on at source? the red light is on.

Any ideas? We watch tv through virgin media tivo and chrome cast. But in the new house we'll have sky. Though i think the sky box has similar connections as the tivo box.

Sponsored Links
Dedicated analogue audio out is one of those features that has been dropped from many tellies. The reason is mostly financial. TV prices sink faster than the Titanic. If a ZTV still has a fully wired SCART socket then you can still get the sound from the TV tuner with a lot of TVS, but even that feature is going the way of the Dodo as we move to HDMI for all.

Optical out is your friend. Look up "Optical to analogue stereo converter" and you should find the little box of tricks that turns the light signal in to something you can connect with a pair of phono leads.

It's worth having a look at your surround system to see if the optical socket is blocked with fluff or dust. This could be stopping the sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back